cloudy after pool party

I would say to try bumping your CYA by another 10ppm but if you're going to start using the solar cover, then it probably won't be needed. :)

Not to be a spoilsport, But, I skimmed this entire thread and saw no discussion of filter psi, backwashing, pump running 24/7, vacuuming, etc......all these things that are also involved and probably FAR MORE influential than a tiny discovered patch of algae. It seems like we started chasing some unlikely ideas before we thoroughly got a firm grip on the fundamentals.

my pump is always on, and it was brand new last summer, i'm not sure what the filter PSI is, my gauge is broken, it used to run about 10-12 PSI when it worked, but i just bought 2 new paper cartridge filters, and we were vacuuming daily during the fight with a re-chargeable vacuum and not vacuuming thru the pool filter.
Everything is back to normal now, I'm not losing ANY F.C. ppm at night and only 3.5 during 14 hrs of daylight. The gray gunk has stopped collecting on bottom too!

Are you saying it might not have been that little strip of algae? because as soon as i scrubbed that away i was passing the OCLT the next night, even though gray gunk kept settling for a few days after.

I think he's just saying there's other things we should have asked about / checked on before hidden algae. But it's working out now. :)

I'd get a nice glycerin-filled pressure gauge that only goes to about 30 PSI max. They're pretty cheap, $20-30 or less. It'll help you to know when the cartridges need changing/cleaning.

IceShadow is on the money. As you stay with us you will learn that we are quite nerdy about testing and precision and fundamentals of pool care. Much of that was overlooked in your thread. Our fault for not being true to our roots but all is ending well.

The pressure gauge is a critical part of good pool water management. IceShadow is spot on again by suggesting 30 psi range, glycerin filled. They are great

TFTestkits has a good one for about 15-20 bucks, I think.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.