Closing: Water clouded after adding chlorine to shock level

skillset

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Central NJ
Hi all,

Here in central NJ, I was not able to find bleach without fillers, so I've been using a 12.5% sodium hypochlorite solution called "SHOCK-IT", sold in gallons from my local pool store. It's from a company called Alliance Trading out of LA. I've used the product the last 3 months. I test Cl daily and use it to bring my Cl up to recommended levels according to CYA. However, most times I use it, it clouds my water in the spot where it's added. The cloudiness clears up in less than 5 minutes - VERY fast. With bleach, I've rarely had such a problem.

This AM, I added 1.75 gallons of SHOCK-IT for pool closing - I add extra Cl above shock level for closing. The pool was at 6 Cl before adding and was crystal clear before adding and immediately clouded after adding. I didn't expect the folks that were closing the pool to arrive so early this morning, so the pool had the added chlorine in it for only about 50 minutes before the pump was shut down for the season. I didn't have a chance to see how long it would have taken for the water to clear.

My concern is next year upon opening, where I'd have to add a lot of Cl upon opening. I wonder if I should continue using the same product and possibly cloud the pool for an extended period of time OR do I search for a different liquid chlorine product? I've read several TFP posts on how water can cloud after adding chlorine, but I didn't see an expectation of how long. I was a bit surprised that after 30+ min of adding the Cl, my water was still cloudy. My Ph was 7.5 and Alkalinity was 8.

While I couldn't pull-up the SDS on that specific brand of chlorine, there must be something peculiar with it to create the cloudiness. In 7 years chlorinating manually, my pool never clouded-up when adding chlorine or regular bleach. Since yours typically cleared-up in several minutes at regular levels, I suspect your latest "bump" also will do the same, you just didn't get a chance to see it before everything was secured for the winter. Next season, if you use the same stuff, and the cloudiness is only temporary and doesn't bother you, I suppose you can still use it. Hopefully by next season things won't be so crazy and supplies so short for everyone so you can shop around for more sources.

Thanks Texas Splash for trying to get the Safety Sheet. I'm with you - I've been using the BBB method for years too with no real problems ever using 6% / 8% bleach. I don't know if I'll ever be able to find just regular old unadulterated bleach!

Dave - the Ph was 7.5

Last edited:
I have cal hypo on hand and used it to bring my FC back to desired levels as I try to dial in the SWCG moving into fall. Yesterday, cloudy. Today, clear and sparkling. If you use anything but liquid chlorine, it may take a day or two to get clear, but if your FC levels are right, and there's nothing growing, you'll get that sparkle.

Dave - this is what is So baffling. Since converting to BBB years ago, not much is routinely added to the pool. In the last 8 weeks I’d say just the Shock It was the only thing added and that was daily. Prior, 2 quarts of Metal Magic, one in June and one in July. Added some CYA in July as well as some calcium chloride. Last test of that was 200 Ppm in August.

In the first week of opening, I got rid of about 3 old pucks that were years old and added 4lbs of baking soda to come up 80 ppm and 4lbs cya to come up to 40ppm.

That’s it for the season. Pool’s Ph, Alkalinity, cya, and Ca pretty stable. I did have an algae issue this season - first time ever - because I suspect the original liquid cl was not as advertised strength and my pool fell below proper cl. The dosage I was putting in after testing must have not raised cl like it was supposed to. I miss bleach! Gotta be careful of the high test stuff. Anyway, did a slam to fix and all was fine after that. I switched from the Leslies brand to the Shock-It

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.