Closing- Too much FC??

May 8, 2018
Delafield, WI
Closing my pool for the 3rd time. First 2 years I used poly 60, once it was clear at opening, the other time somewhat green. So I've decided to ditch it this year. For $30, I figure I'll just SLAM to close, and honestly I will probably SLAM at opening no matter what anyhow.

Question is, if I'm closing Sat, when do I SLAM? And do I let it drift down, or keep it as high as possible? In fact, I have an extra jug of 12.5%, would it hurt to go up to 20+ when my target SLAM is only 16? Heck, for $3 a jug, even 25+ ppm. Not sure I've read anywhere if you can keep pool way above target SLAM.

My plan is to clean it thoroughly Thurs evening, then SLAM, and leave the pump running until Sat. Sat morning, clean once more, then empty to below the intakes so it's ready for my pool guy. Double check FC is still at SLAM level. Is this plan sound? Other reason I want as much FC as possible, temps are definitely not under 60, but I have no choice but to close now.

After lowering the water but before the cover goes on, I position two floaters with 4 trichlor tabs each on a line across the pool (to keep them near the center and away form the walls). Your shock level probably won't last very long, so unless you have some residual chlorination, you could run into issues upon opening if the water temp isn't below 60 yet. In my case, the floaters add a little extra insurance over the first month or two as the temps begin to drop. They also help contain the inevitable PH rise a bit over the winter months.

Bringing it up to shock level is probably the best you can do. If you have a robot, you could always lift a corner of your cover in a month or two once the water temp has dropped and add some more chlorine, then let the robot mix it for an hour or so. If not, just plan on a SLAM upon opening. It probably won't be that bad.

I bring mine up to SLAM level a couple of days before closing. I have never used the poly. I open early (March) and close late (Oct 30). I usually still have chlorine when I open. I may have some algae in my skimmer so I clean that really well when I open and have never done a SLAM after opening.

My water is in the 40’s when I open. I focus on cleaning my pool up the first week and don’t even test or start adding chlorine until I get all the worms and crud out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.