Closing questions

pagreenpool

May 22, 2017
Allentown, PA
Closing my pool by myself for the first time. We've had it for three seasons so I've seen it done a couple times. However I have a couple questions. It's a vinyl pool, about 30,000 gallons. I have a solid cover. My first question is about water level and blowing out the returns. Has anyone used the "periscope" method to blow out the return jets? See this video:
go to 5:20

I am thinking about making a few of those and hooking it up, and then blowing out through those. I don't want to lower my water level below the jets, right? That would be too low. The water supports my cover, is that correct? What is the ideal water level, a couple inches below the skimmers? If so do you run the compressor through the jets and then cap them while it's blowing out? What about getting anti-freeze in them? My previous couple of years, they didn't use any anti freeze but I think I would like to, as an extra precaution.

Thanks for the help. I've read through the closing articles on TFP and a few other websites.

Interesting video.

Not a chance I’d do that where heavy freezing occurs, the huge ice cube moves and would break that vertical add on he uses. Gizmo states to use Teflon tape regardless of the o-ring.

In this situation, if it was my client. I would put unions on his filter and blow out from there. Those shop vacs willnot remove all the water like blowing with a cyclone will. Put duck plugs in the returns, gizmo in skimmer (removing black plug on the top allows you to blow it with the gizmo in)

I quite honestly think a lot of builders do not use unions for two reasons. One a union costs more and two, without them owners will be fearful of closing their pool thereby guaranteeing future business.

The pool they show, in my business costs $225 to close and that includes plugs, gizmo, quart of poly 60 and I gallon of antifreeze for the skimmer only.

So how is everyone plugging up the returns? I have the winterizing plugs (I have the type with the wing nuts)... just run the compressor and force the plug in while air is blowing out?
From what I read you close the loop you are pressurizing, for example do the skimmers first, then the returns then the drains. Lets say you are presurizing the returns, basically you add air with a compressor until air comes out of the returns then you plug them, wait until you get about 10-15psi pressure on on the circuit, then you remove one return plug to let any left over water inside the circuit, then you set the plug back quickly. You have to do the same with all returns.

^ A lot of companies lower the water below the returns in vinyl pools. Fall rains will bring the level back up to the skimmer.

I used to close this way, never used anti freeze and a cyclone would blow out all water, but as I’ve aged, I can’t/won’t lug around my pump and 150’ of hose. The last several years I just use duck plugs or bungee plugs and it’s way faster.

^ A lot of companies lower the water below the returns in vinyl pools. Fall rains will bring the level back up to the skimmer.

I used to close this way, never used anti freeze and a cyclone would blow out all water, but as I’ve aged, I can’t/won’t lug around my pump and 150’ of hose. The last several years I just use duck plugs or bungee plugs and it’s way faster.

I was thinking about doing the bungee plugs... how have they held up? I guess there is no real way to see if they leak?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.