Closing Pool, Pool Covers, etc - in ARIZONA???

Apr 26, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in AZ. We've never closed our pools for the winter. We have very large, mature Chinese Ash (or are they Chinese Elms?) trees surrounding our pool area. We love them, cutting them down now isn't an option. However, in the fall/winter, they lose all their leaves. The leaves are tiny, and I literally have to spend 2+hrs/day, EVERY DAY, to keep the pool under control. Even then, the filters get TRASHED as a ton still gets thru...

I tried a plastic cover that covered the entire pool- that was an ugly, nasty smelly mess, and I STILL had to do a ton of work on the pool. I tried a solar cover- that was even worse...

I'm considering draining the pool dry, and getting one of those solid (not mesh) covers with the straps that go across the top and anchor into the concrete decking all around the pool. Those SEEM like they'd keep most the debris out of the pool, but I'm sure some might still find ways in there.

What's the downsides to doing this?Again, in AZ we don't get much rain in those months, but might get a little- so there's a chance the pool could get some rain/leaves/debris inside- but it'd stay covered all winter so the UV wouldn't be hitting the plaster...

Any pros/cons to doing this? I'm just at the end of options, and I just can't go thru another year doing extensive daily cleanings...

Thanks guys!

Have you tried skimmer socks or hairnets to catch the smaller leaves?

I have no further assistance to offer... I didn't know there were actual trees in AZ, I'd keep them too. Trees are awesome. Do you have to water them specifically?

Not tried it for this reason- but honestly, there's SOO MANY leaves that come down, I'd expect the socks to tear holes pretty quickly and get thru anyways.

Yes, our neighborhood has a TON of very mature trees. Our backyard has them surrounding the entire property. The previous owner really wanted a jungle apparently! We love them tho- gives soo much shade and ambiance... but the poor pool :( We do have them on a drip irrigation system. ;)

Don’t even consider draining it. You’ll end up with damage to the surface.

You could install a mesh safety cover. Not cheap, and a bit of work, but you can keep the pool clean.

It would damage the surface even tho the cover is solid and UV can't get thru?

The leaves will go right thru the mesh- they're pretty small...

The Solar cleaner thing looks really cool. Lots of reviews with it breaking after a bit- but maybe they've fixed it by now? This might be a good solution...

Thanks!

Have you tried skimmer socks or hairnets to catch the smaller leaves?

I have no further assistance to offer... I didn't know there were actual trees in AZ, I'd keep them too. Trees are awesome. Do you have to water them specifically?
They water the living [stuff] out of everything in Phoenix. The pictures you see of my rocks are Xeroscaping due to ridiculously high water costs here in Tucson. We have trees, like Mesquites and Acacias.. okay...maybe not real trees. I like the small of the creosote bushes when it rains here though...

As for a remedy? Maybe put up a sun shade at an angle to deflect the leaves away from the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have about 60 full oak trees on my acre. I close the pool when they make it too much of a chore but being in a colder climate it’s better off closed anyway. Even though the pool isn’t a problem, leaf wise, I still have to get all those leaves to the street. It makes a mountain in the culdesac. I feel your leaf pain.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.