Closing My Pool/Draining Below Skimmer???

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
Hello!

As you can see in my signature, I have a vinyl pool and I was told to drain my pool a tad bit. I asked the pool company what a "tad bit" meant, but she was not clear. You see, I'm taking care of EVERYTHING except for blowing out my pipes. Since the pool store wants me to drain my pool before they blow out my pipes, I'm not sure as to what level I need to drain it....below the skimmer? or below the return jet? I don't want to drain it below the return jet because it's a vinyl pool. I was told that draining the pool below the return jet was not the way to go with a vinyl pool. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Yes! I’ve read it but I was told NEVER to drain a vinyl pool below the return jet as it will mess with the vinyl lining of the pool. Thus, I’m afraid that it will. I’ve read other places where it says draining your pool for closing (the amount you drain) all depends on the type of pool you have. Thats why I wanted to verify if I truly need to drain my pool below the return jet.

I just want to do it right. The pool store never drains my pool below the return jet. ? Now I’m beginning to wonder why. ??‍♀️?‍♀️

I think as long as you are 3-6" below the bottom of the skimmer, you are good to go. Some recommend not draining at all and using a Gizmo in the skimmer. The reason some go lower is because of snow melt plus it is a little easier to drain the return lines that way. With the returns underwater, you will need to blow them out and plug them.

Reactions: Leebo and Mendy48
If you are using a regular plug at the return than you need to drain below it. They make fancy blow through plugs now that you can still blow out the lines while they stop the pool water from rushing back in. You don’t need to drain below the return if you are using those. Either way works. I finished mine yesterday and drained below the returns, blew out the returns and used the old fashioned plugs.

Reactions: Mendy48
As long as you don't have tile, I don't think you need to lower the water when using a Gizzmo.

If you are using a regular plug at the return than you need to drain below it.
You can still blow out lines with them below water using a stand plug.

As long as you don't have tile, I don't think you need to lower the water when using a Gizzmo.
It has to be a blow through gizmo. I have the regular gizmo which is solid and needs to have the water drained first in order to blow out the lines. Once the lines are blown and the gizmo is in, the water can fill back up from the rain without problem.

If you are using a regular plug at the return than you need to drain below it. They make fancy blow through plugs now that you can still blow out the lines while they stop the pool water from rushing back in. You don’t need to drain below the return if you are using those. Either way works. I finished mine yesterday and drained below the returns, blew out the returns and used the old fashioned plugs.
Awwww...that makes sense... I just talked to my pool builder and he informed me that my returns are plugged; they are blown out so water cant brush back in. With that said, I don’t need to drain pool below return jet, but I will drain the pool below the skimmer. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.