Closing chlorine amount

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
In closing, I will need about 3 gallons of chlorine (12.5%) to get my pool to SLAM level. (I'm at about 6 FC now and three gallons will take me to 28 per the calculator. My cya is 70.)

The pool store sells a case of 4 gallons for $14. If I have to open the 4th gallon to get up to SLAM level, is there any harm in just pouring the rest of the gallon in the pool? A full gallon should add about 7 FC so I might be as high as 35 at that point. Is that a problem at closing time?

If I don't use the full gallon, or, if I don't open it, will it be fine to hold it over the winter?

Note - not planning on using Polyquat or any algicide.

Homebrewale

Apr 21, 2020
Apex, NC
You could dilute it and use it around the house. Use it on mold in the shower, in the laundry washer, or cleaning your garbage can to name a few uses.

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I could use it other ways, but still hoping to get an answer to whether or not using it at closing and bringing CL over SLAM levels is bad and whether or not it goes bad (opened or not opened) over winter. Thanks.

Chrissykr

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
If I have any left open or not I leave it in my garage over the winter. I use those first in the spring and I have never noticed much degradation.

Reactions: pb4uswim
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.