Closed pool pH rise

ssgtob1

Apr 9, 2019
Maryland
Hi all,
My pool is currently closed. I had an issue last winter with too high of pH causing scaling. I've been checking the pH and adding acid every other week or so. Every time I check it, it has risen to 8.2. The TA was fine when I closed it and has been at the same level, 70, every time I check it. What would cause this rise?

==========================================
home
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 16000 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.5
CC: 0.0
pH: 8.2
TA: 70
CH: 300
CYA: 40
SALT: 3200
==========================================

"SS", we expect pH to naturally rise in colder water, but that cold water temp also helps to balance that effect. What's your water temp? I"m guessing still chilly. Heat pump not in use. So even if I use 50 degrees as a conservative estimate, your CSI is only at about 0.05 which is well-balanced and scale should not be an issue with those test numbers.

It's definitely around 40.
Then you should definitely be good. Your CSI should be slightly negative, even if the pH is at 8.2. I'd let it settle in the 7.8-8.2 range and leave it alone until the water temps begin to increase.

Reactions: ssgtob1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.