Clear greenish/blueish water

David Link

Sep 25, 2018
Minnesota
My pool has been clear for most of the summer since opening it. I have noticed that only and everytime I add 12% liquid shock the water goes from being clear to a light greens/blueish color, which I have never seen before in all of the years of having a pool. It seems to clear up after a period of time. I have performed a basic test of the water and have
Cya 10ish
TA 120
ph 7.6 to 7.8
FC 3
tCf 5
Th 150ish
I had attached a picture of the water
20230702_073629.jpg

Attachments

• 20230702_073629.jpg
    20230702_073629.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 4
How about algaecides for winter? At this point I'm looking at two possibilities:
1 - You have iron in your local water supply. Maybe not a lot, but enough to where it's been increasing over time and reacting when you increase the FC level.
2 - Some algaecide or other product introduced copper. But copper doesn't always result in a water color change. A sign of copper would be your cart filter starting to look turquois in color.

Here's a nice DIY test you can try for possible iron.

I have not added any algaecides
Sounds like you've been very careful about wat goes in the water. :goodjob: Maybe try that iron test linked above. Sure seems like iron got into the water somehow though. By any chance do you have old iron plumbing supplying water to the pool? Any old steel products in/around the pool (i.e. ladder) that may have rusted? You might also check online with your city/county annual water report. Sometimes that provides clues about metal levels in the water.

Sounds like you've been very careful about wat goes in the water. :goodjob: Maybe try that iron test linked above. Sure seems like iron got into the water somehow though. By any chance do you have old iron plumbing supplying water to the pool? Any old steel products in/around the pool (i.e. ladder) that may have rusted? You might also check online with your city/county annual water report. Sometimes that provides clues about metal levels in the water.
I have all pex, and no steel products around or in pool. I did the bucket test using water from the source and added the same product to it, mixed it and a half-hour later the water looks fine.
Before 20230702_080410.jpg

AFTER20230702_082905.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well shoot. I'm surprised. :scratch: Let's go back to your original post #1. How are you testing your water? Your signature doesn't list a test kit. You noted a very low CYA, but the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006C test kits don't go that low. If your CYA is indeed close o zero, any chlorine you add to the water has a much stronger effect on metals without the buffering protection of stabilizer.

That reaction with chlorine is indicative of metals, but it is very odd you had no reaction in the bucket test.

Why is the cartridge blue?

"Antimicrobial" and blue usually means copper.

Does it use copper?

Ask Pleatco if it has copper.

full

Last edited:
Well shoot. I'm surprised. :scratch: Let's go back to your original post #1. How are you testing your water? Your signature doesn't list a test kit. You noted a very low CYA, but the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006C test kits don't go that low. If your CYA is indeed close o zero, any chlorine you add to the water has a much stronger effect on metals without the buffering protection of stabilizer.

That reaction with chlorine is indicative of metals, but it is very odd you had no reaction in the bucket test.
I used to use a tf100, but since my pool levels always seemed fine over the years I started using strips, yes I know you all are telling at me now lol. 16883078466972048578081341621828.jpg

Antimicrobials operate through two modes. The first is a diffusion mechanism whereby the treatment diffuses to the outer surface of a coating.

A microorganism then picks up the typically cationic, or positively charged, metal ion off the surface.

That metal ion could be copper, silver, zinc or another metal.

As the microorganism attempts to absorb the metal ion, it is destroyed.

The outer media surface automatically refreshes until the antimicrobial treatment runs out.

Through the laws of diffusion, higher concentrations of a substance always migrate to lower concentrated areas, with the only secondary consideration of electric charge when present.

I am still struggling with the water in our pool everytime I add 12% clorine. I have not pull a water test as of this morning, and nothing has changed feom previous years. I also notices light green marks on the bottom of the pool. I installed a brand new filter 2 weeks ago and run our robot pool cleaner weekly. Here are some pictures from this morning

Attachments

• 20230809_085911.jpg
    20230809_085911.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230809_085855.jpg
    20230809_085855.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.