Cleaning PVC pipe & solvents

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Getting ready to redo my pool pad and have a few questions:

1. What can be used to remove the spray paint (and dirt) from some of the old PVC pipes to prep them to be re-glued Will the primer do this? Maybe apply it and wipe off the paint and then reapply the primer? Or Xylene or something?

2. While all my pipe is PVC, this fittings are CPVC. Should PVC cement for the PVC-only connections and an all purpose cement for the PVC to CPVC connections?

Just get the All purpose can (I believe oatey brand is red can)..anyway it'll say for use on PVC, CPVC and ABS. To clean your "crud" off the tubing..use a piece of plumbers emery cloth.....this will get all the "raised crud" off without scratching any deep scratches into the PVC which could create a leak. once you have sanded it down smooth..your purple primer will actually clean off and prime the surface the rest of the way. You are then ready to "glue" the pieces. I use that term loosely, because you are actually liquifying a layer of plastic, and the two pieces will be welded together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.