Cetanorak

Jun 13, 2022
Wimberley, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
About to move into a house with a pool and I want to see if I understand the proper steps that I should take when cleaning pump basket in order to either maintain prime or readily re-prime.

My pump is fed by 3 lines (2 skimmers and drain) each controlled by a valve. If I were to stop the pump and close all three valves, take off pump cover, pull basket, replace cover, clean filter, open cover/replace basket, restart pump while opening 1 skimmer valve....would it be expected that the pump would maintain it's prime or would water drain from the pump basket reservoir when opening the pump lid, even with the upstream valves closed?

Also, would I need to open the air relief valve on my Hayward Cartridge SwimClear C3030 filter during the pump basket cleaning process?

Whenever I end up cleaning the cartridges in the filter, would I follow the same basic procedure in regards to the pump?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    639.2 KB · Views: 14
The process you've detailed is effectively what I do and it normally works fine. However, if would say that even with the valves closed, air still does get into the system so I have to hustle and not leave the pump lid off very long. If I do, it's not normally a big deal as I just add some water into the pump basket with a hose and then I restart. On my pool, I find it easier to get the system running from the main drain and then I open up the skimmer valve.

The process you've detailed is effectively what I do and it normally works fine. However, if would say that even with the valves closed, air still does get into the system so I have to hustle and not leave the pump lid off very long. If I do, it's not normally a big deal as I just add some water into the pump basket with a hose and then I restart. On my pool, I find it easier to get the system running from the main drain and then I open up the skimmer valve.
Do you close valves for both skimmer and drain before opening the pump cover or do you leave the drain valve open the entire time?

Yes, I close both valves then open the pump lid. When restarting, I open just the main drain valve until pump is primed and running. Then I open the skimmer line. Normally I run with my skimmer line fully open and reduce the main drain line to about 50%. When I travel, I leave my pool covered and just run the pump with the main drain. Ensures that something doesn't plug the skimmer line and starve the pump from water.

Hey C !!!

If the the top of the pump is above the waterline, as most are, there is no need to close any valves.

It will glug glug glug air because the filter will try and drain. There is no harm at all. When you are all done, fill the pump basket to the suction pipe level and fire it back up. Once primed, use the filter air release to purge the system.

If the equipment is below the pool water level, then you'll need to close valves because gravity will give you a bath when you disconnect/open any equipment.

Hey C !!!

If the the top of the pump is above the waterline, as most are, there is no need to close any valves.

It will glug glug glug air because the filter will try and drain. There is no harm at all. When you are all done, fill the pump basket to the suction pipe level and fire it back up. Once primed, use the filter air release to purge the system.

If the equipment is below the pool water level, then you'll need to close valves because gravity will give you a bath when you disconnect/open any equipment.
Ah, thank you for that explanation. My equipment is well below the water level.

My equipment is well below the water level.
The you'll need to turn the valves on both sides or the pool will give you a bath. :)

It will also forcefully prime the pump for you when you're done, so you have that going for you, which is nice.

The you'll need to turn the valves on both sides or the pool will give you a bath. :)

It will also forcefully prime the pump for you when you're done, so you have that going for you, which is nice.
So you're saying to shut the vavles pre- and post-pump prior to cleaning filter basket? Then I open the post-pump valves and the main drain to prime? Thanks for your help

If you want to stay dry, yes.

1) Both sides get closed.
2) Perform any maintenance.
3) fill pump basket for good measure
4) open all closed valves
5) fire it up

*priming should be cake because it's force fed being downhil. :)

Reactions: Edge70
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.