Clean Cartridge Every Half Hour??

FC is 12, with cya still very low (10ish). I didn't have any FC loss overnight.

That's with my test, though. I'll get the pool store to confirm in the next hour or two.

Okay, test results are in.

pH - 7.7
TA - 160
FC - 5 (full sun today, so must have lost some since this morning, in addition to over-guessing on the stupid strips)
CC - 0!
CH - 120
CYA - 10

Numbers look good, but we're still pretty cloudy. I can faintly make out the bottom of the pool, but miles from clear.

So even with a CC of 0, I should keep bleaching to reduce cloudiness?

I added a pound a few days ago, and I still have a couple of chlorine pucks in my skimmer basket (I bought a few pounds worth of pucks before reading here that they're insidious beasts), so I'm guessing the cya level will creep up in the next week or so.

But as of now, the cya is still around 10.

I also have a cartridge and hated it when I used Baqucil. I don't remember cleaning mine that often during conversion, but here is a suggestion. Get 2 filters..you can go ahead and being filtering while you are cleaning the other. I didn't read all the post so someone may have already suggested this. Gook luck...

We had a bad algae problem last fall. I killed the algae just before covering the pool. When we opened it we had fairly clear water but all the dead algae had settled to the bottom. The first thing I did was vacuum the pool to waste, then after the bottom was clean, I installed two skimmer socks and bypassed the filter. I then ran the system for a few days brushing the sides and bottom every few hours and trying to keep any debris in suspension so it would find it's way to the skimmer. I was replacing the skimmer socks 2 -3 times a day. After about 4 days the water was clear and chemicals looked good, so I installed a new filter element.

I still use skimmer socks. I replace the sock every morning. It's amazing how much crud it catches. I also always vacuum to waste if there is a decent amount of debris...like after a storm. Works out good because after a storm, the water level is usually a bit high anyway.

Last year I was cleaning the element every 2 weeks, but I wasn't using skimmer socks and I was always vacuuming into the filter. So far this year I'm on 5 weeks without cleaning the filter.

Just for an update... there's not really an update. The filter/pump are able to run continuously, and the FC is at shock level, but water's still slightly cloudy. I can make out the liner pattern on the bottom, but only when I'm standing directly over the water from the deck.

I'm planning on ordering a proper test kit this week, so maybe that'll give me some insight into the cloudiness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.