Clay Base - Steel Pool Walls

jastudee

Feb 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Hello,

I am in the process of excavating and have run into heavy clay. The environment we live in is very cold, and has a relatively deep frost.

I have found some bits using the search function that sort of address this, but I'm still not entirely clear on the BEST approach to setting the walls.

If I understand, it will be risky to set the steel pool walls directly on the clay(expansion), but is there an overall consensus on how to correct this? Reinforce really well and put it right on the clay? Dig a bit deep and level with 1/4"-1/2" of gravel? I'm not super concerned about an additional cost, just want to make sure that this is as solid as it can be.

Thanks in advance.

Like anything else built in expansive soil it's keeping it at a consistent moisture level and and it won't expand and shrink. Other options are to remove it and fill it with non-expansive material. If the decking around the pool is permeable, drainage away is important. If it's non-permeable, sloping it should be sufficient. If the soil is dry when the pool is installed and the decking is installed settling should not be an issue. What are the chances to get the pool and decking in without some rain? You may need to put in a french drain around the pool till the decking can be done.

Thanks a lot for the input! Unfortunately, we just went through a rain storm - so the excavation has seen some water. Looking at the future forecast - it looks like it will be relatively dry through the next steps of the process. I was actually a bit surprised after this rain storm that there was very little to any water standing and it wasnt the muddy sloppy mess i expected? Maybe the clay content isnt as high as I initially thought. I like the idea of a french drain around the pool, even as a permanent solution to managing the water. It sounds like if a french drain is effective, I would be safe placing the walls directly on the current substrate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.