Choosing Hayward T-Cell size

Apr 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I have a Hayward T-Cell-9 that seems to be dying. It's showing an incorrect, low salt reading each time the pump starts running for the day. I can correct this temporarily by resetting the value, but it recurs every day.

I guess I can't complain as the T-Cell-9 has been in literally daily use since early 2015 and has probably at least 25,000 hours on it at a ~40% output setting.

My pool is only ~10,000 gallons. I didn't choose the T-Cell-9; it's what my installer chose for me. My question is simply whether it's worth buying another oversized T-Cell-9 or not. Should I save money and scale down to a GLX-Cell-3 or -5?

I'm guessing a smaller unit would have to work harder and would not last as long.

All swg cells have a finite lifespan of approximately 8-10k hrs when run at 100%
So - yes,
the larger the cell, the less u need to run it (as it produces more fc/hr) & the longer it should live.
Generally the price increase to have a larger cell is worth the amount of chlorine you will get from it over its lifespan.
It is recommended to get a cell that is rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume.
The volume ratings of cells are based on running the cell @100% 24 hrs a day. That’s not something u really wanna do.
The bigger the better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.