Chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Aesthetically speaking for our pool project, We think a black automatic pool cover will complement our color scheme. Our house is blue/gray, our pool is dark grey, and we are putting in Blue/gray thermal bluestone and our fence is being stained black.

Our pool builder states that black is not going to be any more difficult to clean then dark gray which would be our other choice.

Comments from people who have insight into a black automatic pool cover?

See my build thread here for pics:

No, but I have charcoal grey and recommend it. The place where the pump sits gets a dirty ring for sure, but other dirt is not obvious. Ours is 7 years old. Black is also hotter at the edges above the waterline which would certainly age the vinyl faster. Here's a picture. That 1' section is always the dirtiest as the water tends to pool there when the cover is open. But if being used regularly, the dirt won't accumulate there.

Thanks for your comment about the dirt. Something to consider. Our pool will actually not really be in direct sunlight for a lot of the day so I think that’s one factor I will consider.

Great choice getting an autocover by the way. You will never really recoup the cost but the benefits are important for me. I can open early and not worry about any debris. Open/close as needed for heat retention (no heater here), etc. Run pump less when it's covered, though our electric is cheap. I try to remember to lower the pump run time. And safety. I don't like the pool being "available" unless I want it to be.

I would also think black would cause the cover to stand out. Grey lends to it blending in more. Neither is bad, just perspective. I don't think I've ever see a black autocover on here actually.

Looking at your drawings, I think a black cover would really stand out...I'd go with something that more closely matches the surrounding deck or is lighter. Is your decking grey? I have a grey (light grey?) cover, and I sometimes wonder if I'd rather it were a bit darker, but I definitely wouldn't want it darker than the surrounding deck aesthetically. Even with my lighter-grey color, the top several inches of the water get quite warm (hot, actually) in the sun.

Here's a picture from my build thread mid-construction:
134F4FA1-3B22-401D-8CDC-AB7123DBFE8D.jpeg

Looks like a terrific project! What an oasis in the city! (Btw, yea, Chicago! We used to live in the South Loop. :))

Looking at your drawings, I think a black cover would really stand out...I'd go with something that more closely matches the surrounding deck or is lighter. Is your decking grey? I have a grey (light grey?) cover, and I sometimes wonder if I'd rather it were a bit darker, but I definitely wouldn't want it darker than the surrounding deck aesthetically. Even with my lighter-grey color, the top several inches of the water get quite warm (hot, actually) in the sun.

Here's a picture from my build thread mid-construction:
View attachment 142789

Looks like a terrific project! What an oasis in the city! (Btw, yea, Chicago! We used to live in the South Loop. :))

Our decking is going to be natural stone (thermal bluestone - select) - so the color ranges from blue to grey.

I keep going back and forth on black vs grey.
I guess at this point my thought process is this: if the autocover were something to behold - black might be a good way to accent it. But if it really is an unattractive piece of equipment, it might be better to have it blend in (grey).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.