Chlorine stuck at 10 ppm even with SWG OFF!!

diy_darryl

Jul 20, 2014
St. Louis, Missouri
On 5/26 My numbers were FC 1.5, CC 0, PH 8, TA 90, CH 200, Salt 3200, CYA 10. Calc said to add 48 oz Bleach, 20 oz Muriatic Acid, 83 oz Calcium Chloride, and 69 oz (4.3 lbs) Stabilizer.

I did as suggested except only added 4 lbs Stabilizer and waited 3 days 5/29 and checked again. Not sure what went wrong! Overshot CYA to 110, Chlorine was at 16! FC 16, PH 7.8, TA 100, CH 250, Salt 3000, CYA 110.

Drained approx 1/3 of pool per the calc. Turned off SWG. Tested again on 6/1 FC 1.5 CC .5, PH 8.2 TA 180, CH 250, CYA 70. Added 48 oz bleach, 57 oz Muriatic, Tuned SWG back on to 20% (it was originally at 40%).

Next day on 6/2 FC 8.5, CC 1, PH 8, TA 150, CH 250, CYA 70. Turned SWG OFF, ENABLED=NO and set to 0%. Lots of SUNSHINE!!!! Added NO chems!

Tested today 6/3 and FC is 10, actually seemed to increase! Why is my chlorine not dropping?

The CC seems to have gotten to 1 but man I sure don't want to SLAM it! Is that the answer? What am I doing wrong?

By the way, VISUALLY the pool looks GREAT!!! Clear!

Last edited:
About the stabilizer, in your pool, every pound of stabilizer (16 oz) raises your CYA by 15 ppm. 4 lbs of stabilizer is 60 ppm of CYA for your pool. As to why the FC seemed to increase or be stuck is hard to say. FC doesn't just increase unless either chlorine is being produced/added, the water didn't mix well, or one of the FC tests was flawed. It happens. I would keep an eye on the elevated CC. We won't rush into a SLAM at the moment, but with some good sunshine perhaps the CC will get burned off. If not, or if anything else should seem strange, you may consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure.

Next Day, lots of sunshine all day. SWG still off, FC IS STILL AT 10. CC DROPPED TO .5

I don’t get it. Doesn’t make any sense. Is my SWG still producing somehow????

Granddaughter Is DYING to swim but we are trying to reduce FC first.
Is it SAFE for her to swim? Pool looks GREAT!!!

Is it SAFE for her to swim? Pool looks GREAT!!!
Yes! Your last CYA was validated at 70, so you have plenty of FC room before you get close to SLAM level retsrictions. See FC/CYA Levels, Definately get in there. :swim:

Thank You!!!!
Tested again with Fresh Reagents. Actually got FC of 12, CC OF 0 that time.
But I can’t leave the SWG OFF forever. I don’t know how I am making or at least maintainzing FC.
If it continues to stay high while turned off I am disconnecting it completely to see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.