Chlorine? Shock?

restoman

Dec 24, 2010
Murrieta, CA
Hello all. My pool pump passed away on Tuesday (blowing circuit breakers all over the place) and I can't get it replaced until next Tuesday, so I'm not able to vacuum or more importantly, generate chlorine from my salt cell. In the meantime, I have to add chlorine manually, so my basic questions are:

1. What brand chlorine do you recommend and where can I buy it?
2. I have a case of MEMBER'S MARK SHOCK, so can I use that instead?

It's only been three days and I can already see green algae starting to build up on the side walls!

Thanks
Ed

Do you have a brand in mind? Also, how much do I put in?
Most liquid chlorine sold seems to be about 10% strength. Once in a while you find 12% strength. But Walmart sells "Pool Essentials", and some others "Blue Whale:, but the brand doesn't matter as long as the primary ingredient is Sodium Hypochlorite. Just good old liquid chlorine. My pool is close to your size and I would add 1/2 gallon of 10% strength each day. Hope that helps.

Thanks Pat. The inspection appointment from Leslie's is this Tuesday and they're going to let me know what I can use with my old Pentair Intelli-Touch System i5 system. It may take a few days after that to actually get it installed so I'll probably buy 4 packs of the chlorine.

Ed

Ok, more questions. This time about the pump.

I know I have to buy a variable speed pump (welcome to California folks), but which one? Right now I have a single speed WhisperFlo 1.5HP model WFE-6 so I'd like to get something comparable in the way of horse power, but even more importantly, gallons per minute. I've read that the WFE-6 moved approx 110GMP so I'm assuming I'll need something in that same range?

Leslie's has two pumps that are rated at 1.5HP:

1. PENTAIR - EC-342001 at $1439.00 (plus tax and installation)

2. JACUZZI - JVS165S on sale for $1169.99 (again, plus tax and installation)

The Jacuzzi pump is actually rated at 1.65HP but that shouldn't be a problem.

3. There's also a HAYWARD W3SP2303VSP MAX-FLO on sale for $1299, but it looks kinda tiny. I could be wrong though. Hard to tell from online pictures.

4. And finally, a HAYWARD - W3SP2603VSP SUPER PUMP, also on sale for $1299, but again, looks kinda dinky!

However, none of these pumps show the GPM rating. Will any of these pumps work for me?

Ed

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. I've looked at those as well but they're priced way above my budget. Unless they have a variable speed motor that will replace my current WFE-6?? I don't need the wet half. Or at least I don't THINK so!

Ed

(1) Yes you can but you would need to change the impeller to a 1 HP impeller: A.O. Smith 1.65 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Square Flange - ECM16SQU - INYOPools.com

(2) For you it is probably worth converting (CA rates). The pump wet doesn't add anything to efficiency. In fact the Intelliflo uses the same wet end as the Whisperflo WFE-12.

But you can save almost as much in energy costs with just a two speed motor: https://lesliespool.com/century-b2983-square-flange-1.5-0.19hp-dual-speed-56y-motor/222457.html

As @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta indicated, Intelliflo is a great option.

So you have a couple of options.

Well, after a little research it does appear that the two speed pumps are legal in California AND it appears my IntelliTouch I5 can work with it (see attached). However, I'm still going to have the Leslie's pool guy come out and verify everything before I spend any money.

The question now is will I save any real money using a variable speed pump vs a two speed pump?

Thanks all that helped!

Ed

Attachments

• INTELLITTOUCH I5 WALL CONTROLLER.jpg
    INTELLITTOUCH I5 WALL CONTROLLER.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support