Chlorine not showing up and pool cloudy! Please help!

Shocking the pool means keeping the FC at shock value (16) until the water is clear and you pass the overight chlorine loss test. You should be testing every hour initially until the FC begins to hold, then you can move to every few hours.

The chlorine is consumed as it kills off the organics in your pool. The shocking process takes several days of maintaining a high chlorine level to kill every bit of algae, etc. (More bleach, more bleach.)

Keep reading and re-reading Pool School. It's somewhat technical, and probably different from what you always thought about pool-water maintenance, so it takes a while before it sinks in. But it's a fast, efficient and inexpensive way of doing it.

Read, rely on the Calculator, and you will prevail!
Alan (born in B'more)

RSAnative said:
Good morning. So I added the chlorine yesterday and it brought the FC up to 6. This morning it's back down to zero. Do I repeat the process? Use more chlorine this time? Why won't it hold chlorine? PH went down a little bit as well. I did not keep the tabs in last night. Should those of been in as well?
Keep adding chlorine. Keep FC at 16. It's going down because it's killing algae. You need to kill the algae faster than it can reproduce. This is a battle to the death. Knock it down, and keep hitting it while it's down, again and again and again until it can no longer get up.

Check this thread out for inspiration:
first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RSAnative said:
Good morning. So I added the chlorine yesterday and it brought the FC up to 6. This morning it's back down to zero. Do I repeat the process? Use more chlorine this time? Why won't it hold chlorine? PH went down a little bit as well. I did not keep the tabs in last night. Should those of been in as well?

Funny thing is that I'm in the same situation as you. I shocked the pool with bleach 8.25% last night and tested the water this morning and it was back at 0 for TC. :(

Only two things consume chlorine. Sunlight and organics (usually algae) in your pool water. Since you put the chlorine in at night, organics are consuming your chlorine and it needs to be replenished.

Yes - Bring it up to 16 as soon as possible. Are you checking the FC level every hour, and bringing it back to 16 any time it drops below? When it drops less than 16, the algae are multiplying and winning the war.

Brought it back up! So the question is obviously you don't want to swim in 16. My goal is to have this worked out by Saturday. How many days do I keep it at 16? I think I saw somewhere that when it doesn't drop more than 1ppm per hour?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.