Chlorine Loss/Bad Chlorine?

SupaDave

Bronze Supporter
Nov 25, 2016
Bethlehem, GA
Gentlemen:
Been using the TFP method for years and have enjoyed a crystal clear pool. ( one might say I am fastidious about my water clarity )Recently, we've had alot of rain here in GA. and I noticed a small spot, 2" of yellow algae on the floor and decided to do a SLAM. My pool is in the full sun most of the day, but I have never experienced Cl loss as I am currently losing since I started this SLAM. I'm in my 3rd day of SLAM. My water was crystal clear when I started it ( with exception of the 2" spot ), and it is crystal clear now. No sign of algae on walls or floor, and it appears I have passed my OCLT over the last two evenings. I have attached a chart of my chem additions and resulting #'s. I'm using liquid Cl @12%. Testing with a Taylor 2006C DPD. As you can see, I sometimes "lose" up to 4-6 ppm FCl over 2-3 hours during sunny day. I even started doing two samples per test and my FCL #'s and CC #'s vary between the two samples taken at the same time, from the same place in the pool... Ive cleaned my test cylinders with bleach. Is it possible the Cl I'm using has degraded and I'm not getting the resultant Cl increase that Pool Math says I should?

Attachments

• Pool CL2.pdf
    100.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I could understand if the chlorine was bad resulting in a less % strength, then you simply wouldn't hit your target FC level. But it makes no sense to see so much bouncing around up & down with the FC. Let's confirm a few things:
- Are you using a speedstir?
- How old are the reagents?
- Are you using the 10ML sample size?

I could understand if the chlorine was bad resulting in a less % strength, then you simply wouldn't hit your target FC level. But it makes no sense to see so much bouncing around up & down with the FC. Let's confirm a few things:
- Are you using a speedstir?
- How old are the reagents?
- Are you using the 10ML sample size?
Splash
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using a speedster. Yes, I am using a 10 mL sample. My reagents are the ones that originally came in the kit probably a couple of years old possibly more

My reagents are the ones that originally came in the kit probably a couple of years old possibly more
Dave, that would be my first place to start - fresh reagents. At least the FAS-DPD powder & drops portion. You might just be spinning your wheels because of that. I bet you'll see much better consistency with a fresh batch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.