Chlorine Levels low, can i add this shock to increase levels?

eugchen

Feb 4, 2022
los angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
been testing my water for months and chlorine has been fine. i use the 3 inch hockey puck chlorine tablets, but today levels were low, not sure why. i have some of this shock max blue. is this just a concentrated form of chlorine for me to add to get chlorine levels up? i dont have liquid chlorine here, just the tablets. thanks!

pool shock.jpeg

Blue is industry code for copper.

Steer clear of any 'all in 1' type products.

This is about half dichlor, a bit of copper, and about half "other" (likely sodium bicarbonate and a clarifier based on the label). In addition to not wanting copper, dichlor will increase your CYA level very quickly. You don't say what your CYA level is, but if you're using pucks then it probably doesn't need increased.

I'd get rid of that stuff.

Reactions: Newdude
been testing my water for months and chlorine has been fine. i use the 3 inch hockey puck chlorine tablets, but today levels were low, not sure why. i have some of this shock max blue. is this just a concentrated form of chlorine for me to add to get chlorine levels up? i dont have liquid chlorine here, just the tablets. thanks!

View attachment 488052
You can get liquid at Home Depot/Lowe’s/the pool store. If you’ve been using tablets for a while and now having trouble keeping the chlorine level up it may mean your CYA has skyrocketed and is allowing algae to start breeding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.