Chlorine Levels and Heat Exchanger Warranty

tsigos

Feb 3, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
What is the reason that Raypack will void your warranty for a heat exchanger if your water has FC levels more than 3ppm but the Pool School recommends much higher levels? What am I missing? Will the higher chlorine levels damage my heat exchanger?

They are assuming 3 FC with no CYA. That's actually lower than the EPA limit for drinking water, which is 4. So I;d like to see them deny a warranty based on that! Anyway, the technical part of the CYA/FC is here. The relevent graph

HOCl.gif

They are using sanitizing based on government standards from the 70's. TFP evolved with the times. The government standards ? Well, just look at the mess that we are living in..........

Okay, so it appears that higher chlorine may be recommended for better sanitizing but will it dissolve the copper in the heat exchanger? In my case, my CYA is around 65 and FC between 6-7 (although I initially shot to 12 but let it burn off by itself). PH never below 7.2 and generally stays around 7.8 to 8.0 with ALK at 100. Heater is brand new but exchanger developed a leak in 2 months.

I have kept my FC in the 8-11 range for 7 seasons and my Pentair HP is fine. 2 months is some other manufacturing defect.

Reactions: tsigos
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.