Chlorine level safe for sewer

michelegel

Bronze Supporter
Sep 9, 2015
Mamaroneck, NY
Hi All - frame pool (a bit shy of 5,000 gallons) storing it for the winter.. here are my questions:
1. what is a safe level of chlorine to drain it into the storm sewers?
2. what's the best "keep it dry" material? corn starch? baking soda? How liberal do I need to be?
3. my pool is a Bestway 9' x 18' - anyone know what size garbage can I should buy to store? No known mice in the garage, but why take chances.

thanks in advance!

1. Zero. You should check with your local authorities about that (maybe water company or public works). Not only will they be able to give you the best answer, but might also help you avoid a fine if you guess wrong. They won't like the salt in the water, either. Storm sewers might not even be preferred. My municipality won't let me use the storm drains or the sewer system.

Sorry, don't know on 2 and 3.

As dirk said, check with your local authorities. The answer will be different if your storm sewer goes to a water treatment plant, or if it goes directly into a local waterway (probably the harbor or river for you).

Last edited:
1. Municipalities clearly don’t understand science when they make regulations about chlorine going down the storm drains...but that should be expected from bureaucracy.... as others have said, check your local codes and if they require neutralization, then just water your lawn with the pool water.

2. Baking soda is better than cornstarch. Baking soda is inorganic and washes away easily.

3. Just fold it up and then measure it. No sense in trying to guess. My guess is you’ll need one of the big plastic contractor garbage cans.

Your chlorine should all dissipate within days of not adding more. Keep checking until it is 0, then drain. But of course, check your local laws first. You can also get chemicals that will neutralize the chlorine. I checked mine and have no restrictions on emptying a pool regardless of what is in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.