Chlorine generator or ozonator?

Vtown

May 28, 2018
Vacaville CA
Finally! Getting a HotSprings Grandee delivered in early December.
Just had the concrete pour today.
It comes with the factory Freshwater salt system but my dealer is giving the option of that or an ozonator.
Looking for input on which to choose.
I have an in ground pool and have used pool math and TFP for the past few years and have been able to keep the pool looking great myself with this method.
I read a bunch the past free weeks but really an still undecided.
Pros and cons of each?

Took a reading on our tap water today in case that makes a difference
The “freshwater salt system “ says they want CH at 50ppm.

PH 7.7
TA 140
CH 80.

Is it possible to keep your pool and hot tub in pool math app?
I didn’t see an option to add and toggle.

Attachments

• B3B56263-A8FA-40AE-8205-C50E1A0C0F41.jpeg
    B3B56263-A8FA-40AE-8205-C50E1A0C0F41.jpeg
    708.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Mdragger88
In poolmath in the hamburger menu hit switch pool then, +add new pool.

The freshwater system has proprietary cartridges (tiny disposable cells) that need somewhat frequent replacement (every 4 months) so take that $$ into consideration vs an external drop in swg that has a little beefier of a cell (most last a year or sometimes two before needing replacement )
If you intend to use the tub often the ozone can be helpful to oxidize contaminants but if the tub is left unused for long periods the ozone can consume more fc than without. Wheras a swg just keeps producing fc (which oxidizes & sanitizes) whether u are on vacation or not.

Either way u go you’ll wanna purge your new tub first w/ Ahhsome so u start out on the right foot then follow the dichlor then bleach method 👇
Both of the options - ozone & swg - will still require some level of manual chlorination although they both reduce the daily needs vs solely using bleach.
The replacement cost of either type of unit should probably be factored in to the decision.
I have a drop in saltron mini & it’s great. It really does the heavy lifting & I just manually dose with bleach after heavy bather loads. I am on my 2nd cell (replaced it 1yr ago)
The 1st one lasted almost 2 years (1yr 11 months). Replacements run around $150
I use my spa almost daily year round & sometimes twice a day oct-april.

Attachments

• C074A4EA-EB7C-4825-86E1-4DA9A5FB7C8C.png
    C074A4EA-EB7C-4825-86E1-4DA9A5FB7C8C.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Vtown
Most hot tub ozone generators are toys that won’t last more than a year or two before they stop producing any measurable amount of ozone but, since there’s no way to test for it (easily), you won’t know if it’s working or not. I wouldn’t waste your time or money on either system. Get a Saltron mini drape-over SWG and forget the rest.

In poolmath in the hamburger menu hit switch pool then, +add new pool.

The freshwater system has proprietary cartridges (tiny disposable cells) that need somewhat frequent replacement (every 4 months) so take that $$ into consideration vs an external drop in swg that has a little beefier of a cell (most last a year or sometimes two before needing replacement )
If you intend to use the tub often the ozone can be helpful to oxidize contaminants but if the tub is left unused for long periods the ozone can consume more fc than without. Wheras a swg just keeps producing fc (which oxidizes & sanitizes) whether u are on vacation or not.

Either way u go you’ll wanna purge your new tub first w/ Ahhsome so u start out on the right foot then follow the dichlor then bleach method 👇
Both of the options - ozone & swg - will still require some level of manual chlorination although they both reduce the daily needs vs solely using bleach.
The replacement cost of either type of unit should probably be factored in to the decision.
I have a drop in saltron mini & it’s great. It really does the heavy lifting & I just manually dose with bleach after heavy bather loads. I am on my 2nd cell (replaced it 1yr ago)
The 1st one lasted almost 2 years (1yr 11 months). Replacements run around $150
I use my spa almost daily year round & sometimes twice a day oct-april.
Thank you
Found it and added the tub

Reactions: Mdragger88
Most hot tub ozone generators are toys that won’t last more than a year or two before they stop producing any measurable amount of ozone but, since there’s no way to test for it (easily), you won’t know if it’s working or not. I wouldn’t waste your time or money on either system. Get a Saltron mini drape-over SWG and forget the rest.
it comes with one or the other so I think I’m leaning toward the Ozonator. I’ve asked for the specs or model of what they’d install.
i think I’d like to avoid needing to drop the CH to 50-ish ppm and cost of the proprietary cartridges.

I could still add a drape over SWG if I choose in the future correct?

If the ozonator comes built in with the tub, then there will (most likely) be no way to control it. They are typically tied directly into the electrical system and designed to run when the tub water pump is running in recirculation mode (no bubbles) which is typically when the tub is closed and not being used but the water is being circulated and kept warm. Ozone and chlorine will neutralize one another so the constant presence of ozone will increase your chlorine demand. Ozone is more often found in a tub that uses bromine as the ozone can convert the bromide ion into sanitizing bromine.

You can get the ozone generator and then, if you're handy, you can open up the tub panel and probably figure out how to electrically disconnect it so it doesn't run OR you can simply let it run and then deal with the extra chlorine demand.

There have been others here who have had the choice to decline both on hot springs tubs - so double check that that’s not an option that might yield some savings for u or maybe opt for another “accessory” like a cover lifter.
I know when I bought my pool I had to adamantly decline their perma salt system & instead was able to negotiate some wedding cake steps that i would have purchased anyway. Trading accessories is often more easily negotiated than a reduction in price for a bare bones purchase. I assume this is due to the fact they’re made to push accessories to meet sales quotas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.