Chlorine Feeder based on ORP reading... how to steady out chlorine?

rdoner

In The Industry
Jul 3, 2022
Colorado
Commercial outdoor pool and hot tub... 140,000 gallon pool and 2,500 gallon hot tub. Our chlorine feeder is signaled to feed chlorine based on ORP readings even though ORP from what I understand is not a direct measure of chlorine. I am struggling to keep chlorine readings steady. Our ORP is higher in the morning then falls throughout the day as UV rays hit the water. My question is how do we set the ORP setpoint so that we are not overfeeding in the afternoon when chlorine levels are within the acceptable range but ORP is low and underfeeding in the late morning when ORP is high but chlorine levels may be low. Some additional notes: PH is kept at 7.4-7.5 using a acid feeder, alkalinity kept at 80 using sodium bicarb, CYA is between 30-50. FC I want to keep between 2-4, CC is currently 0. (Free chlorine is climbing as high as 5 in late afternoon after feeding chlorine all afternoon due to low ORP which is what I'm trying to prevent)

Sorry, can’t offer much because all ORP systems are quirky and every probe manufacturer seems to have slightly different designs.

Sounds like your probe is fouled or bad. How old is it? Most ORP probes need to be changed annually and, if you are using CYA, they need to be cleaned regularly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.