Chemisry Affected by Iron Weight in Pool?

rightnitro

Jul 29, 2019
Southeastern NH
Hi, I have a 13500 gal above ground. My father used 2 25lb kettlebell weights to hold the ladder down. Worked great last year. However, this year, I have had a lot of trouble keeping both the CYA and chlorine levels up. Every week or so, there is a lot of rust-colored stain near the ladder. I had him remove the weights, because one of them had no plating anymore and was completely rusty and I figured the chlorine was getting used up quickly from eating the iron. I have the CYA and chlorine levels back where they should be, so hopefully it was the weights causing the issue.

Anyone ever heard of this happening?

Thanks.

Generally Iron in the water is a bad thing. It will cause rust stains to develop over time. Chlorine is an oxidiser, that's part of the sanitation process. However, it has no preference for material to oxidise, and if there are no organics in the pool, will happily oxidise (rust) the weights. Next time use something inert to chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.