Chemicals needed at start up

Jennk2

Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2019
Athens ny
We are in the process of getting a new 24 ft round above ground pool installed soon and I’m trying to figure out what chemicals I should have on hand at the beginning? I already ordered the TF-100 test kit but won’t be able to test water until it is delivered. I have some bleach but have no idea how much to expect to need to begin.

Stabilizer, called CYA and chlorine.

That will get you going until the test kit comes in.

How many gallons is your pool? That tells you how much of each chemical to add.

13,500 gallons. I’m assuming the fresh water fill will have zero chlorine/cya to start?
Yes.

Whatever chlorine it has will disappear in the sun very quickly without stabilizer, so consider it zero out the tap. Only whatever water you added in the final hour will still retain any, and that's not enough. So have CYA and bleach standing by. To raise 13500 gallons to 40 CYA takes about 4½ lbs. So buy enough. And figure on 2-4 FC per day. 3 FC is 1½ quarts of 10%. So maybe figure 3 days per gallon, so buy 2 or 3 at least. Weaker bleach means more, stronger means less. No point in loading up more than two weeks' worth because it loses strength in storage unless you find a phenomenal proce, like buy one, get one,

You probably have a clue about your water. Is it considered "hard"? If so, you're unlikely to need baking soda or borax but acid is pretty much guaranteed. If the test kit arrives before the pool, test the fill water. Otherwise, just keep your eyes peeled while you're at the stores and see who has borax on the shelf, and who's got big bags of baking soda (or small boxes at the best price) and which hardware stores have muriatic acid and if it is full-strength (31.45% aka 20 Baum) so you know where to go and aren't frantically hunting on the big day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.