Chem expert needed here.....Is Hydrogen Peroxide safe to use with Boric Acid in hot tub based on research of chemical reaction of those two

duganderson

Jan 26, 2021
Minneapolis
I've seen some articles about borates and hydrogen peroxide creating a chemical reaction that can be useful for a variety of chemistry purposes but I don't know enough about chemistry to understand if this reaction would be unsafe in a hot tub. Here are a couple of the articles for the chemists in the group.

Borate-catalyzed reactions of hydrogen peroxide: kinetics and mechanism of the oxidation of organic sulfides by peroxoborates - PubMed

I occasionally use hydrogen peroxide to lower my free chlorine if it's too high and I'm wanting to use the hot tub. I recently added 50 PPM of boric acid to my hot tub and curious if it's still safe to use hydrogen peroxide occasionally.

Thank you, Doug

There is no reaction between peroxide and borates at the pH and conditions you are operating your hot tub. The peroxyborates are a class of chemical bleaching compounds similar to peroxycarbonates (Oxiclean) where peroxide acts as an adduct to the borate molecule rather than water. You are safe.

Reactions: duganderson
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.