Check me on this - wanting to add small amount of salt to chlorine Spa.

ironman61

Nov 8, 2021
Fountain Hills, AZ
Recently we switched our pool from Chlorine to an Intellichlor SWG and the difference in the feel of the water was quite remarkable- we couldn't believe it. At the time we didn't really want to splurge for a second salt cell for our separate Spa, but we'd love to get the same / similar feel as we have in the pool. I'm certain i could add a bit of the pool salt to the Spa. On an old / closed thread it said be sure to measure what you already have, so I took my sample into the local Leslies and had them test it.

Question 1: PPM is PPM regardless of the size of body of water. Size only matters when i calculate the quantity of Salt to add. Correct? So if my Salt level is 800 ppm, it doesn't matter if i said it was 1000 gal when it's only 600 gal, the PPM is accurate for either, no adjustments needed.

Question 2: What target Salt level should I be shooting for? the Pool's ~3600ppm for the SWG. the Spa doesn't have the need to be that. How much is too much salt?

Recently we switched our pool from Chlorine to an Intellichlor SWG and the difference in the feel of the water was quite remarkable- we couldn't believe it. At the time we didn't really want to splurge for a second salt cell for our separate Spa, but we'd love to get the same / similar feel as we have in the pool. I'm certain i could add a bit of the pool salt to the Spa. On an old / closed thread it said be sure to measure what you already have, so I took my sample into the local Leslies and had them test it.

Question 1: PPM is PPM regardless of the size of body of water. Size only matters when i calculate the quantity of Salt to add. Correct? So if my Salt level is 800 ppm, it doesn't matter if i said it was 1000 gal when it's only 600 gal, the PPM is accurate for either, no adjustments needed.

Question 2: What target Salt level should I be shooting for? the Pool's ~3600ppm for the SWG. the Spa doesn't have the need to be that. How much is too much salt?
ppm=ppm

Question 2 is up to you. If you’re only adding it for the feel, keep adding until you like it, but stop before 4000ppm

I have a drape over Controlmatic SmarterSpa SWCG in my spa but it calls for a target salt level of 1500-2000 ppm as opposed to 3000-4000 ppm in my pool which has a Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG. Not sure how that relates to feel, but you don't need to go that high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.