cheap sequesterant

mikergibson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Mt. Vernon, Illinois
All things being equal, what's everyone's choice for a cheap metal sequestrant?
I use it often as our water has a ton of iron in it. It would be great to
find a place online to get it on the cheap.
There seems to be common household equivalants to just about everything,
I guess that's no so with metal sequestrants?

yeah it is not adding any and letting your pool turn red. you want cheap you get cheap. Just go to the pool store and buy some. If you don't have enough money to afford a pool you probably shouldn't have one. I see too many people let their houses end up in foreclosure simply because they can't afford the pool that goes with it.

Take this for what it's worth, as it's my N=1 experience and it may or may not be a good idea, I don't know.

Back when clorox added the "rust out" chemical to their bleach, I didn't catch it and added it to my pool.

The next day I noticed a pile of brown particulate about 8' out from my return line. It looked EXACTLY like what I got in the same place the year we had a heavy iron issue and used ferra tabs.

This was discussed at poolforum, and I don't recall the exact outcome, but it seemed to precipitate metals for easy removal in my pool. What metals they were, I don't know, as I had used copper algaecide the year prior a few years back from that we had iron. Probably a combination.

I have had great luck with the hth Brand Metal Control from Walmart, the pool store had a metal sesquesterant that was not HEDP based, so I did not buy it because I had seen that advised against, so I checked out the hth brand, it's less than 10 dollars for a quart I think, and it works about a week, then I put another quart, I only have 6000 gallons. I could probably get by with less, but I do not want to take chances.

I don't think it makes someone a terrible cheapskate, after learning about Baking Soda especially to wonder if maybe there is something else we commonly use that is cheaper and can be used for metal control.

Poolio, maybe you should switch to decaf
Often those with money are constantly being frugal, those without money spend like there's no
tomorrow wanting to portray something that they are not. You don't always get what you pay for
'nuff said.
My simple question was whether or not there was an alternative to pool store chemicals.
I have been using jacks pink but I order it off of the internet for 6-7 bucks cheaper than the
local pool store has it.
I will try the hth brand, what's the difference b/w hedp based or non hedp?

thanks for the tip, as always I learn something new every visit

poolio said:
If you don't have enough money to afford a pool you probably shouldn't have one.

:shock:

I don't think there's anything wrong with seeking advice from others. That's why we're all on this board; trying to learn from others' experience. I can afford my pool, but I'm always looking for solutions that work and if I save a little money that's a bonus.

Chris

Ace Hardware sells their house brand O-Ace-Sis Metal Out Plus for about $10/quart in my area. The stuff is actually twice as concentrated as most of the other brands out there since the normal dose is a pint per 10k gallons while most of the others dose at a quart per 10k gallons. I have been using it lately and it seems to work just as well as Jack's Blue stuff or Proteam Metal Magic. They are all HEDP based sequesterants.

I have been using Metal Myte from Menards at about $9 qt. It is 4oz per 10K gals. Works great, watch for sales at the end of the season when they clear out the summer stuff and its all dirt cheap and this stuff will last a long time as long as you don't let it freeze I think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.