Cheap Intex Pump dead - what would you replace it with?

Jun 18, 2017
Greencastle, IN
In May we put up a new "cheap pool" as I call it before we invest in a permanent one in a couple years. Its a PloyGroup steel tube vinyl that comes with the small all in 1 pump that uses the "A" type cartridge (a CP2000-C) - basically an Intex AG pool. There really is no information on the pump or in the manual but it has a max flow rate of 45 gallon per minute. Well the pump is now making horrendous noises and the warranty sucks. I've had these pumps with these cheap pools before (this is our 3rd and we keep going bigger!) and they barely last a season. And the replacement pumps cost almost more than what I got the pool for (end of year clearance sale).

As I am going to put in a permanent (AG) pool in the future (once this current one dies) I want to replace this pump with something that will last. My current pool is 12,600 gallons (24' round X 52"). We are thinking of maybe going rectangular on the next one and a bit bigger but our options are open.

So thinking of my future needs, if I'm going to replace this cheap pump what would you suggest? This current pool has 2 holes in the side of the pool with 1.5" fittings - one for input, one for output (standard cheap pool set up). I'm liking the idea of a Sand Filter and possibly going with a salt water system but I'm open to anything. Someone suggested getting a variable speed pump especially with the size pool I have if I'm getting a bigger pump. I don't want to go too big but big enough that it will work with what we will get in the future. I won't say price is a factor but I want it to be reasonable and not pay more than I should.

Any suggestions? What would you get if you were replacing what you had?

Hayward or Pentair brands, 2 speed 1hp should be plenty of pump for your needs. You run on low speed for day to day filtering, and high speed for vacuuming. I would also add a higher capacity filter, sand is easiest in my opinion. Check out Craigslist regularly. You can often find a good deal on pumps and filters especially near the end of the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.