Chasing Algae All Summer

Hello,

This was my first season with a pool and while I've dealt with the learning curve, I feel i have picked up on the relationship of CYA to protecting Cl and how to SLAM the pool. The problem is, I guess I have not picked up on these completely as I am chasing algae in the pool all the time. For the past month + there has been clear water in the pool and a slight green film on certain areas of the pool. As you should see in my sig, this is a 15' round Intec softside and pool math says its around 4300 gallons. I am putting 20oz of 6% Clorox in the pool twice a day. I feel that is a lot for a pool this size. I have even gone far higher for a period of time to see what results I get. And my results are that while I have very clear water, I am still chasing. I am hoping to find some information that will help me stay ahead of this next season. Is it possible the pump that came with this pool from Intec is just not large or strong enough?

Thank you for your time.

You are doing it wrong, we try to avoid algae, not chase it :mrgreen:

Adding 20oz x2 of 6% does not tell us much.
Please post up a full set of test results.
What test kit are you using?
Your signature did not show up.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like that 20oz is adding 2.2ppm of FC with each dose. It is "normal" to have to add 2-4ppm of FC each day, so you are basically in that band. But, that is when the pool does not have algae already in it. Did you truly follow the SLAM Process process and pass the 3 criteria to stop?

Is it possible the pump that came with this pool from Intec is just not large or strong enough?
First, the problem you have is with chlorine.....not enough of it. but then, you must help the chlorine do it's job by brushing once a day or so, vacuuming when needed and running the pump 24/7.

Secondly, Intex is infamous for inadequate pumps and filters so you will probably ALWAYS struggle with that pump/filter to keep up. Assist it by following the above and completing the SLAM procedure.

If you have low CYA, whatever bleach you add will be gone in an hour or two. If you have high CYA, your FC level isn't high enough. Either way, algae is the final result. It sounds like you're at a stalemate, where what you add is just enough to kill off today's growth, but not enough to get ahead of the algae.

So I'll echo Jason: Full test results and did you follow the SLAM Processto completion?

Hi ChrisPickering! Welcome to TFP. You're in the right place, but you have to help us help you. If you want to be successful with your pool, using TFP methods is a sure fire way. But you can't cherry-pick the info, instructions and/or advice. You have to go all in. And the only reason I suspect otherwise is because you have a problem. So if you're willing, first things first. You need a proper test kit and we need a proper set of results from it. Jason (jblizzle) is coaching you in the right direction.

Please do try again with your signature, and include in it exactly what equipment you're using to test your pool. The sooner Jason knows, the faster he can help you.

Here's a hint: you're going to need one of only a few test kits available to do the job right. One of them is what everyone here uses (thousands of us). So if you don't have one of the following, the first step is to get one ordered. Like, today, fast shipping. This is the most important step. Don't shortcut it. Don't try to save a few bucks by buying something else "almost as good." There is no "almost as good."

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

You can't go wrong with:

TFTestkits TF-100 (http://tftestkits.net/test-kits-c4/)
or
Taylor K-2006C (Amazon.com : Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Garden Outdoor)

There are other add-on items that will make your pool life easier. If you have any questions about any of the kits, or what else to buy, just ask.

Ok, guys, I will try to follow up and keep up! Next season I'll get a better pump, too. Hurricane is headed for us and IDK if we are about to get pounded with tons of rain east of Atlanta. If so, that will shut me down for the season.

I am using a TF-100 and showing a constant level of FC around 15 and 0 to 0.5 CC for the past couple of weeks.

But thank you for the knowledge!

This does bring up a question. What should I do about cleaning the pool before shut down to make sure it isnt nasty when we break it out next year?

Ok, guys, I will try to follow up and keep up! Next season I'll get a better pump, too. Hurricane is headed for us and IDK if we are about to get pounded with tons of rain east of Atlanta. If so, that will shut me down for the season.

I am using a TF-100 and showing a constant level of FC around 15 and 0 to 0.5 CC for the past couple of weeks.....
That's still not test results. 15 FC may be high or low, depending on the CYA level.

If you close a green pool, you'll find a green pool when you open. You need to clean out whatever is in there and make sure the chemistry as as good as you can get it, then follow the closing procedure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.