Update - I covered it early and did not fully winterize yet. I did add polyquat.UnderWaterVanya said:The FC is pretty high for Polyquat - they recommend 5-10ppm shock and then let it drop a few days before adding it and letting it circulate for a day to mix fully.
My options as I see them:
1) Cover, without closing, keep running the pump and checking/adjusting chemistry. Wait until water temp drops to 60, run it up to shock and close.
2) As #1 but let the FC drop and when low enough add polyquat, wait a day, then close.
3) Don't cover, fight the leaves for another month, get frustrated - shoot pool with one of many firearms around the house.
4) Cover and Close and deal with it next year.
I'm leaning towards #1 or #2 depending on how quickly FC falls while covered and how quickly the temp falls while covered.
I had an out of town guest who volunteered to help me with the pool cover - it was a mess the guy who pulled it off the pool wadded it up and never cleaned it and we didn't realize - we had it in the shed and not bagged - when we pulled it out - ants went everywhere. There was dirt all over the top side as well. We ended up spending an hour or two scrubbing it with a hose and the pool brush!
The water was measuring as follows the day we covered the pool:
pH: 7.6 or lower at first
CYA: Warmed and checked with limited sun as 35 (seemed low)
Water Clear, some leaves in the pool due to wind during covering. Polaris 380 was left in the pool with an empty bag. Ran it 4 hours after cover went on.
Today I measured (1 week later) could not get deep sample - need to get PVC sample pipe over there from my house:
TA: DID NOT MEASURE assumed 70
CH: DID NOT MEASURE assumed 260
Temp: 62 (closer!)
CYA: 45 (however I forgot to warm the sample)
Water is still too warm to close - Polaris was set loose to hunt leaves and help stir the water. I also added 41 oz of 8.25% bleach in the area near the ladder (no return there) VERY slowly. I'm hoping the polaris will help stir things. In the future - is adding it diluted to the skimmer a better idea - pump running. I just don't want to hurt the liner any more than it was by the previous owners poor chemical use (bleached in the deep end and one other place).