Changing to Mesh Cover

r2pool2

Sep 23, 2020
OH
We bought a house with an existing in-ground painted concrete pool very recently. We were left with a Katch-a-Kid safety net and a solid "tarp" style cover as well as a submersible pump for winterizing. Today was first rainstorm after closing. Getting the pump in the middle was a major pain, and it stopped working after about an hour. I can get a similar mesh tarp style cover here quickly and relatively cheaply. I am strongly considering going to the mesh cover, but want to make sure I am not missing something. I realize I will have to keep an eye on water level in pool, and also pool will be dirtier next spring, but I am not concerned about that. Is there anything else I am missing, any possibility of permanently staining the paint or anything else I need to consider? Thanks! Next year I plan to invest in a proper safety cover, more than likely a mesh style.

My feelings is that a mesh ( nothing more then a screen ) over you pool will allow anything that sits on it to end up in the pool. Leaves will break down and drop in, animal dropping will soak through. Water will build up and will need to be drained off which is the same for a solid of course but at least you are dumping rain water and not your treated water.
Mesh cover = short time use while leaves are falling.
Solid cover = good for all winter and a clean opening.
sktn77a says it all above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.