Elizabeth,Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello, I was wondering if I can change out my wide mouth skimmer without draining my pool? My pool came with a Olympic wide mouth skimmer and I would like to swap it out for a Hayward one. Can I just drain it below the skimmer line and exchange them out or will the liner shift on me? Does anyone on here know if the screw holes line up between the Olympic and the Hayward?

Thank you in advance,

Brian Lyons

Brain,

I would say no.. I have no idea how big your pool is or what type of pool but the weight of water is 8.8 pounds per... so if you have 15,000 gallons that is 132,000 pounds of water the liner is holding back.. not all of it is being held at the skimmer but thousands of pounds are... no way to know exactly how much weight...

I have no idea if the holes will line up but you can take the new hayward out to your skimmer and see if they do :)

Please fill out your signature, it helps us help you Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Brain,

I would say no.. I have no idea how big your pool is or what type of pool but the weight of water is 8.8 pounds per... so if you have 15,000 gallons that is 132,000 pounds of water the liner is holding back.. not all of it is being held at the skimmer but thousands of pounds are... no way to know exactly how much weight...

I have no idea if the holes will line up but you can take the new hayward out to your skimmer and see if they do :)

Please fill out your signature, it helps us help you Create Your Signature - Further Reading
Ok I will work on that this evening. I have a 24’ round 54” wall, salt water, De filter. So typically if you have to change a skimmer out you have to empty the pool first?

I have never had to and I have not read about anyone replacing one... I just know there is lots of weight holding the liner...

Is it an Intex type pool or do you have a wall holding the liner?

Mine is an intex type pool and I would empty all the water... I wall liner pool would be safer because the wall is holding most of the weight.. I would still empty it below the skimmer by how much I am not sure :)

I would still drain well below the skimmer to change out.. how much below I do not know.. I just do not want the liner to expand and not be able to get the liner back under the skimmer.... :)

I was able to fix the leak last night after talking with a buddy of mine. I guess if you have a leak on a new skimmer a lot of the times it is the screws. He told me to take them out one at a time and put some vinyl patch glue on the screw and put them back in. So far so good.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.