Changing ball valves

roundsey

May 17, 2023
Fort Myers
Happy Friday all!

I will be changing the ball valves on the suction lines this weekend as the existing ones are old and leaking. My ball valves sit slightly higher that the water level of the pool. I will be busting out that sloppy looking concrete that was done by previous owner. My question is this: Will I have to worry about water continually spewing out when I cut the pipes to replace the valves? Also, do you recommend using the "Rain R Shine" PVC pipe glue?
Thanks in advance.20230517_181121.jpg

to prevent major flooding I suggest you use plugs in your skimmer(s) - I assume at least one of those is a drain? If so, You won’t be able to do much about that.
If one is a vac port you would plug it too.
The rain or shine is a fast setting glue so you will need to be quick with your work especially if it’s hot out. It’s a fine glue to use. Be sure to also use primer first. & do your best to clean/ream the pipes after cutting (removing the pvc burrs in a way that keeps them out of the plumbing).
Have you already bought the replacement valves?
The jandy never lube valves are robust choice and will last much longer than ball valves- their cost is a bit higher but I doubt you want to do this again anytime soon.

Reactions: HermanTX
to prevent major flooding I suggest you use plugs in your skimmer(s) - I assume at least one of those is a drain? If so, You won’t be able to do much about that.
If one is a vac port you would plug it too.
The rain or shine is a fast setting glue so you will need to be quick with your work especially if it’s hot out. It’s a fine glue to use. Be sure to also use primer first. & do your best to clean/ream the pipes after cutting (removing the pvc burrs in a way that keeps them out of the plumbing).
Have you already bought the replacement valves?
The jandy never lube valves are robust choice and will last much longer than ball valves- their cost is a bit higher but I doubt you want to do this again anytime soon.
Yeah, I already bought the ball valves, but I got heavy duty ones from the pool store. The valves in the picture are from 1998 and they just started leaking slightly this year. What size plugs do you suggest for the skimmer and vac port?

Yeah, I already bought the ball valves, but I got heavy duty ones from the pool store. The valves in the picture are from 1998 and they just started leaking slightly this year. What size plugs do you suggest for the skimmer and vac port?
Even the heavy duty ones are junk. Use Jandy Never-Lube valves (or similar).
If you are determined to use ball valves, at least use true-union (double union) ball valves so they can be changed out without the need to cut and glue.

You will have to determine the pipe sizes to get plugs that fit correctly.

Reactions: HermanTX and pjt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.