CH Test ?

Sep 10, 2010
Hi all, New spa and I used the TFT 100 CH test for the first time, I am a pool owner and am familiar with the TFT 100. I added 20 drops of R-10 and 5 drops of the R11L, the sample didn't turn red just a faint pink tint. I added one drop at a time of R12 and the sample turned to a faint blue tint. ran the test 2 time with the same result. when I do the TA test the colors are much darker.

Also starting from zero I added calcium for a target of 120 and my test result was 70 6 hours later. do I need to wait longer for the CH level to show?

The CH test can show a faint pink/lavender before making it to the baby blue which is the true end result. SO make sure to go to that baby blue color. As for the TA, it should end at a bright Barbie pink color.

Can you confirm if you used our PoolMath tool for the calcium dosage and how much calcium you added?

Yes, for a 400 gallon spa , starting with zero CH and target of 120 , I need to add 5.7 oz by volume of Calcium chloride. I used a 2 cup kitchen measuring cup, aimed for the 6 oz mark, probably off by an ounce in either direction.

Projected amount looks good. You've certainly met the expected wait time for the CH to show. The only thing I can think of is if you used a questionable brand of calcium chloride. It's a long shot, but if the testing and measuring was accurate, that's all I can figure. What brand did you buy and from where?

On a related note, I'm assuming your new spa is what - fiberglass or acrylic of some sort? Not plaster. If that's the case, the CH is primarily to help prevent foaming anyways. So as long as your water isn't foaming right now, your CH of 70~ish should be good for now. If you still believe more CH is warranted, add a little more in stages just to ensure you don't spike and go too high by mistake.

I used a product called "whac" from island recreation. Labled as calcium chloride. It comes in flakes.
My manual says c h should be 150-200.
My question was more about the faint tint that appeared when I ran the C H test as opposed to the darker colors that appear in the other tests in the TFT-100.

Acrylic or fiberglass tub. I assume there are metal parts in the heater and ozone generator that need protection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.