Jul 12, 2013
Clarksburg, MD
Folks, actually have two questions tied to Calcium Hardness.....

First, I have excess DE coming into the pool, replaced the grates in the filter figuring a tear, but there is still some in the pool although I've been getting it out through either the Polaris cleaner sucking it up, or vacuuming it. The issue with vacuuming it is there is too much DE in the filter (confirmed) so it tends to come back into the pool, so I've preferred the robot getting it, it just takes time vs just backwashing to clean it out.

Question, will DE affect CH test? Does it affect other results? PH?

Next CH is at 500 or so, SWG pool and historically I've kept it around 400. Pool was re-plastered two years ago and as usual in the first year, balancing was a nightmare, especially PH. However as the year came to a close, things got "reasonable".

Fast forward to this year, Calcium deposits all over the pool...I wouldn't call this scaling but "clumps" both on the walls and the floor. If CH is high, shouldn't that mean I have too much Calcium? Why would the plaster be leaching Calcium from the plaster? Is there a way to get these removed? Pumice? Haven't tried to remove them yet, but there are many (10 or more spots).

I know the ask, so here is the full pool chemistry, CYA is way off (not sure why, but addressing that already).

PH - 7.5
FC - 3
CC - .5
CH - 500
TA - 80
CYA - 20
Salt - 2800ppm

Thanks in advance

JD

Here you go...pics of the "calcium spots", these are all over and are raised, almost could peel them if you know what I mean.
IMG_3126.jpeg

The second pic is of the substance which I believed is DE from the pool after it's been dried out, however it definitely fizzed like a soda with rock candy poured in, so maybe it's calcium?

IMG_3127.jpeg

I have checked this morning, I pull a pile like that out everyday or so....there is still a lot of this at the bottom of the pool (brushed to the deep end), what would happen if I vacuum it? Would the filter catch it? Then backwash thoroughly and "maybe" the excess calcium will be removed? Thoughts?

Have you used calhypo recently?

Have you retested your CH?

Your plan to remove the calcium scale should work. The more you can remove from the pool, the better. If you have the ability to do so, allowe the scale to settle to the bottom and vacuum to waste. In pool math, enable CSI tracking. Keep CSI in the negative range. If you are using calhypo, discontinue use.

Last edited:
I believe I understand now how I got the excess calcium build up in the pool. Shortly after I opened the pool I had to travel out of town and my salt generator wasn't keeping up with the demands of a still somewhat dirty pool and I asked my daughter to add shock to the pool after testing each day and if CL was low, shock it. Well after discussing with her, it appears she use 4-5 bags over a 7 day period or so, my guess is that what started me down this path.

It has collected on the bottom of the pool, and I continue to brush it towards the deep end into a localized area hoping the Polaris grabs it up. When I vacuum up I feel like it comes back out through the filter and back into the pool, so the Polaris seems the only way to suction it out.

I wonder, do they make an attachment for a vacuum hose that would have a bag/filter? That way I could collect the material without going back into the filtration system and coming back into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support