CH always low

May 11, 2010
East Texas
It seems that I have to add CH increases at least monthly (which I never had to do with my pool at a previous house on a different water supply that was definitely hard water -- my CH there tended to be on the higher range). My CH wants to hover around 200. Is there anything that I'm overlooking that could be causing this or do I just test and add regularly like I have been doing? The pool was built in late 2015 and I've had this issue from the beginning. Also noting that my fill water does contain metals and I do have to metal staining especially around the auto fill valve. I use a weekly treatment.

Yesterday's results:
pH 7.4
FC 5, CC 0
TA 60
CYA 70
CH 200
Salt 3670

Thanks in advance for your help!
Tricia

Tricia, if it's simply a matter of being in a new location with soft local water, you may just have to add some calcium periodically. However if your CH seems to be dropping excessively without explanation, you might check to ensure you don't have a leak. As we know, CH and CYA are the only two that can be lowered by exchanging water. Evaporation doesn't count. Owners who have an autofill experience this when the pool tops itself off automatically then one day the owner realizes their CH or CYA is quite low. So if that was the case (a leak), if your CH is dropping, your CYA should drop as well.

Sorry I took so long to reply.

Tested my fill water and the ch is 25–yes, 25. I tested it twice. The ph of my fill water is 6.8.

I run th full gamut of tests about twice a month and each time my CH is 200-225 so I add calcium chloride. Looking at my log and the pool calculator again, I don’t think i have been adding enough. I’ve been adding 2-4 pounds each time.

All of my other numbers are good. I rarely add stabilizer. My pH doesn’t t rise quickly so I add a quart of MA maybe once a week (I keep mine between 7.2and 7.4 because of iron in my water and staining issues). My TA is often 50so I add baking soda about once or twice a month to bring it back to 60-70 range.

Today’s test results: ph 7.2. Fc 6 cc 0 cya 60. Ta 60. Ch 200. Salt 3800. Calculator says to add 10 lbs of calcium so I will do that and retest in a couple of days.

Any thoughts on any of this? Am I missing anything?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.