cellulose fiber passing through de filter

Todd Kroehle

Jun 7, 2019
Olmsted Twp., Ohio
Hello All,
First post here. Been using cellulose fiber on my Hayward DE4820 with good success. But this year, it appeared as thought the fiber was passing through the filter every time I backwashed and charged it. Also, the pressure would never build above 7 or 8 pounds over the initial reading after backwash. I have removed and rinsed the elements every year as recommended. I took the filter cluster out of the body and took each element off the cluster. What I found were holes in the material covering the filter element. See the attached pics of the bottoms of a few of the filter elements. The filter was installed new 4 years ago. Does anyone know what may have caused this? No response from Hayward so far.
Thanks,
Todd Kroehle105335105334105333

Hi, welcome to TFP! Hard to say exactly what caused the grid damage. Have you ever had the lid be difficult to seat on the filter vessel? It could be the grids where not completely seated in the manifold and cracked when the lid was put back on.

Is there any chance there was water in the filter and it froze over the winter? The round tank is a lot stronger than the grids, so they would crush first.

I've been using cellulose for several years now, since late 2010, and I have seen nothing like that. I have no clue exactly how old my filter is, but it's more than ten years for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.