CC rising, very windy and tons of pollen and organic debris being blown in

Mar 23, 2017
Edmond, OK
Could this be the cause?

FInished a SLAM and passed the OCLT test last week. Numbers are near perfect, yet CC started off at 0 after the SLAM, stayed that way for a couple of days, then rose to .5ppm. As of yesterday, it's now at 1.0ppm.

Here in Oklahoma, everything is off the charts concerning pollen and flying irritants. Tons of oak seeds and debris is being blown into the pool. Could this be the source?

Last Numbers:

FC: 5.0
CC 1.0
TA 80
CYA 40
CH 270
PH 7.4

Yes. Clean as much of the big stuff with the leaf net, use skimmer nets to trap the small surface debris then put your robot to work. Raise your FC a couple of ppm and hope the wind slows down. The sun and open air will reduce your CCs.

Reactions: splashpad
Derek,

Welcome to TFP! And yep even though "this ain't Kansas Toto" we get the wind and pollen down here in South Florida as well. 15+kts are common. The total enclosure helps some but our cc stays between .5 and 1 ppm this time of year. Any organic matter can consume FC . Algae is pretty easy to completely oxidize if there is sufficient FC. I'm pretty certain pollen and other organics that blow in the wind are a little more difficult to oxidize. Good news is that it mostly floats on the surface so you can trap with a filter in your skimmer basket to remove it. Otherwise it gets to your filter and continues to consume FC until you clean it. Also watch your FC closely. If it drops below disinfection level you can quickly get an algae bloom.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Skimmer socks will capture a great deal of pollen and make life easier.

Your goal is NOT 0 CC's.

.5 CC and 0 CC are both interpreted as zero

As pollen and other organics are introduced into your pool, your CC's will fluctuate frequently so your only concern would be if they get 1.0 ppm or above and STAY there more than about 24 hours (give or take)

This season has been brutal in these parts, eh derek553? I think it's aggravated in that the wind will blow from the north for a few days, shift to the south for a few days, then back to the north...and yes, there is an onslaught of debris right now. I am consuming about 5-7 PPM of chlorine a day, so I bumped up my base FC quite a bit for a "cushion." I am also cleaning out my skimmer (using nets, too!) at least 4 times a day and the robot is going 2 cycles a day. It's a lot of work (thank goodness I work from home!) but pool is staying clean/clear!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.