Cartridge Filter Cleaning

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
My Pleatco Cartridge Filter is less than 2 years old. I currently soak it in a trash can with laundry detergent and hose it down real well.
The PSi never gets down to where a new filter would be. Is there a better (stronger) cleaner. How about E Z OFF Oven Cleaner...?

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
You should never use foaming soap products to clean a cartridge.

The most straightforward cleaner is trisodium phosphate (TSP) which can be mixed with water to form very strongly alkaline solutions. Bleach can be added to it as an oxidizer. TSP/bleach solutions are used for many tough cleaning applications. You can find TSP in a hardware store’s paint section. Just don’t buy the “alternative” eco-friendly TSP which is not TSP at all.

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Ditto on never using dishwater soap and do use TSP.

I buy the stronger liquid TSP, mix it w the correct amt of water per directions for 2 gallons, then add 1 cup of bleach. I add to a 2 gal pump up sprayer and spray the filters applying about 1 gal per filter, so it takes 2 total applications.

By the time I've sprayed the last gallon on the last filter, I rinse out the pump-up sprayer and get a bottled water and let the filters soak a little more - all of this should be done in the shade [no direct sun]. Then crank up the hose to full blast w a solid narrow stream nozzle and hose down the first filter I sprayed going from the bottom upward. This keeps the solution in the pleats and prevents streaking. When I've worked my way all the way to the top, I give it one top to bottom washing. Repeat on cartridges 2, 3 & 4...

Now, since you probably have just your skimmer baskets in the skimmers like we all did, you're fighting a losing battle bc what gets past the skimmer baskets make it to the pump basket then makes it to the cartridge filters...BUT, by installing white poly-spun hair nets, your life will be changed from ever having the same degree of intensity of cartridge filter cleaning...

Here's a link to make your life 1000 x's easier for $5-7 bucks per yr..every one I've given these to have all purchased and installed them...now you can join TFP forum for this great tip...Merry Christmas..tstex

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Hair-Spun-Bonded-Polypropylene-White/dp/B072XXLC13

Note: EZ OFF will eat the rubber and other material holding your pleats together...only use this type of cleaning agent on approved surfaces...don't inhale it either...

wjr75

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2013
IL
I never use any type of cleaner. I just hose it down once a year using a higher pressure water nozzle.