Cartridge Filter cleaning frequency?

May 12, 2016
Katy, Texas
I know they say to clean this sort of filter 1-2 times a year. I also hear many people clean before the start of pool season. I've had my pool for about 9 months now and I cleaned the filters (4 cartridges) in October. I'm not noticing anything strange and the pressure on my filter has remained steady. So I guess the question is do I wait for the pressure to increase or preemptive strike it before dead on summer.

Thanks.

If you haven't noticed any PSI rise by now, then there is really no reason to clean the filters. However, I would probably not go much more than a year between cleanings. My PSI barely moves in a year's time.

I clean mine in spring and fall after the trees get finished doing their thing. So all that junk isn't sitting in the filter all summer/winter. It's about time for me to go do the spring clean. When you decide to get new cartridges get Pleatco filters. They are better, faster to clean, cheaper, last longer, have better flow and on and on. I used to have to clean my OEM cartridges 2 or 3 times in spring and fall, Pleatcos are once each.

I just cleaned my Pleatco filters. Pressure started to creep above 20 PSI. My pool is surrounded by trees, which are dropping debris constantly. They were completely full. Easy to clean, but messy job. I will probably clean again before Memorial Day.

If you have a skimmer basket, you might want to try a skimmer sock or disposable hairnet over it. A number of us use them and it sure cuts down on cartridge filter cleaning frequency. You have to check the skimmer more often, but that's a small price to pay, in my opinion anyway.

I clean mine in spring and fall after the trees get finished doing their thing. So all that junk isn't sitting in the filter all summer/winter. It's about time for me to go do the spring clean. When you decide to get new cartridges get Pleatco filters. They are better, faster to clean, cheaper, last longer, have better flow and on and on. I used to have to clean my OEM cartridges 2 or 3 times in spring and fall, Pleatcos are once each.

I'm going to replace my filters (4 years old) in the next few weeks after I empty the pool and put in fresh water. I ordered 4 cartridge filters from Amazon, they are Hayward sold by Pleatco. I bought from one of the other sellers, Pool Supply Warehouse for a lower price. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KMIK9O/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER I was thinking of returning them only because the ones pictured showed them having 4 straps and the ones the seller (pool supply warehouse) sent have 3. I was wondering does the extra strap make a difference? Are the Pleatco cartridge filters better then Hayward? Just wondering if it's worth the trouble sending them back and reordering. TIA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.