Carmel, IN - New Fiberglass Pool - Under Construction

drewwestrick

Jul 17, 2022
Carmel, IN
Hi Everyone,

My name is Drew and we are currently installing a Latham Kingston ([email protected]) fiberglass pool with Perma Pools. Equipment that I know of so far is a Pentair 356289S pump, Frog Leap System (I've been seeing the posts here), Pentair 160340 filter, single white LED. As someone completely new to pools I'm excited to learn from everyone here and would love any feedback on equipment, techniques, etc.

Based on feedback here, I'm already considering ditching use of the Frog Leap system past the initial install (was already fitted when I found TFP). My question is do some people hang onto the Frog chlorine cartridge to add chlorine to the pool while they are away from home? From what I've read, the downside to this system is the metal additives and the fact that the chlorine cartridge will increase CYA to the pool over time. If we stick to liquid 95% of the time is this a decent approach so we don't have to bother with having someone add chlorine while we are away? I'm obviously concerned about needing to do water replacement, since this will be more tricky with a fiberglass pool.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Image from iOS (10).jpgImage from iOS (8).jpgImage from iOS (9).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfepack88
My question is do some people hang onto the Frog chlorine cartridge to add chlorine to the pool while they are away from home?
The ideal scenario would be a salt water generator (SWG) for extended periods away from home. Yes, you can use a combination of liquid and stabilized products (tabs) throughout the year as long as you monitor your CYA level with your TF-100. If you have any questions at all about your pool or water chemistry don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Pool Care Basics

Another downside is the insane pricing they put on their bac pac thingamajigs and mineral doohicke. I'd also ask them to remove and credit that price if possible

If you can get a credit for it I'd never let it get close to the pool equipment pad.
Is the consensus here that is isn't a very good system in the long run, or is there active damage from day 1 by using such a system that I should avoid at all costs? I feel doubtful they would credit us for a system that is already installed / been out in the weather for about a week now. We talked about a SWG during our initial meeting, but was advised that they are more costly, and that if we give the Frog a try, we could always upgrade later. From what I can tell, the main issue with Frog is it's going to push my CYA levels to an unmanageable level and the metal additives over time could result in staining both hair and fiberglass. Are these downsides correct?

Is the consensus here that is isn't a very good system in the long run, or is there active damage from day 1 by using such a system that I should avoid at all costs? I feel doubtful they would credit us for a system that is already installed / been out in the weather for about a week now. We talked about a SWG during our initial meeting, but was advised that they are more costly, and that if we give the Frog a try, we could always upgrade later. From what I can tell, the main issue with Frog is it's going to push my CYA levels to an unmanageable level and the metal additives over time could result in staining both hair and fiberglass. Are these downsides correct?
That is the gist of it yes. If it were me I'd bypass it from the start and use liquid chlorine until if/when you get SWG, assuming that's the direction you want to go. And that's if they won't credit you. If you get a SWG then you don't even need the inline chlorinator when you go out of town because the SWG will continue to generate the chlorine as long as everything is in working order. If you decide to do the liquid addition approach then using that chlorinator during those times would be fine. I wouldn't even consider using the mineral stuff if I were you.

Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can talk to them and ask that they don't even both installing the "mineral" pod of whatever that part is to keep the silver / copper out from the start. Depending upon where my CYA starts, (I'm assuming it should be at or near zero if I'm starting fresh), it probably won't hurt to use the chlorine pack until I can purchase the needed liquid chlorine and other chemicals I may need to manage things myself.

First holiday weekend with the new pool. We had some friends over and thanks to TFP the pool was ready to go and looked amazing (in my humble opinion). Really appreciate all the help on here understand the basics of pool chemistry, maintenance, etc.

Attachments

• 94A6275C-D5D5-4B13-8853-9D071AD7AAA0.jpeg
    94A6275C-D5D5-4B13-8853-9D071AD7AAA0.jpeg
    681.9 KB · Views: 23
  • C97E52DF-E352-48A8-8790-0FCF43340B73.jpeg
    C97E52DF-E352-48A8-8790-0FCF43340B73.jpeg
    690.8 KB · Views: 23
  • D826C5E2-D1FD-44C3-9AE3-FB1BCC628A51.jpeg
    D826C5E2-D1FD-44C3-9AE3-FB1BCC628A51.jpeg
    747.4 KB · Views: 22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.