Caretaker pressure relief valve question

SteelBlue

Jul 4, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
The photo below shows my pool return that is divided between a Caretaker in-floor cleaning system and wall jets. The amount of flow to each can be controlled with a Jandy valve. If I close the flow to the wall jets, I still get significant flow through those wall jets. I am assuming that flow is coming through the pressure relief valve, even though the pressure never reads more than 15 psi. It was my impression that the pressure relief valve isn't supposed to be open unless pressures exceed 30 psi. Would if be safe to assume that my pressure relief valve is stuck open and should be replaced? I've never been impressed with the strength of flow coming out of my floor cleaning jets.

Attachments

• IMG_2486 3.jpg
    IMG_2486 3.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 15
Well, here's an update. As noted above, I was getting flow through my wall jets even when those returns were completely shut off. So while the in-floor cleaning was going on with a psi of 14, I was losing significant flow through the wall jets. Pool guy agreed that it was probably a bad pressure relief valve that was stuck open. So last week, while I was out of town, he replaced the valve. I came home, and it was doing the same Dang thing? I called him and asked if he actually replaced that valve, he said yes, and came out. I showed him nothing had changed. He was perplexed. Took a garden hose with Flo King and ran it down each station of the caretaker, thinking maybe some or all of the stations had a diverter to the wall jets. Nope. I then suggested that we put the hose in the return line and run it back with the Jandy valve closed to attempt to force water through the pressure relief valve and see if we got wall jet flow. We did that for about 30 seconds as a tremendous pressure developed, he stopped because the hose bladder was about to blow out. We put everything back together, and lo and behold, the system started working properly — when I close the valve to the wall jets, there is no flow to the jets. Best we could figure, was that the new pressure relief valve was stuck open and that when we forced water through the valve, we reset it to functional status — however unlikely that seems, it is our only conclusion. Now, my Caretaker gets full water pressure and the floor jets are more vigorous.

Attachments

• Returns schematic copy.jpg
    Returns schematic copy.jpg
    563.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200213_114113_resized.jpg
    20200213_114113_resized.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.