Cantilever Umbrellas and Wind

I’m a big fan of cheap, big umbrellas from Amazon. If you check the daily deals section, there’s almost always an umbrella on sale.
They are not amazingly sturdy, but neither are the $800-900 versions. When you only spend $80 or so, who cares if it blows over and gets damaged.
I second this. I went Ikea. I have one that's close to 10 years and old still going strong, if a little faded, at my in laws' house. It was around $100. Checking the site now they're a little different and they have some more expensive options but still one there at $99.

Not cantilever, but regular umbrellas - I put a 5lb weight on a rubber strap with S-hooks. Hang that onto the ribs. It gives us little more margin for error on when to take them down. They would still lift up before they suffered a structural failure. But we never leave them up except when we are paying attention to the wind situation. Haven't lost one yet, but we are diligent.

The best is to have a solid shade structure nearby so that regardless of the wind you can escape to guaranteed available shade if needed.

The best is to have a solid shade structure nearby so that regardless of the wind you can escape to guaranteed available shade if needed.

It doesn't help if you want to be in the pool. Our cantilever umbrella shades a portion of the shallow end of our pool. I didn't want to install shade sails over the pool.

It doesn't help if you want to be in the pool. Our cantilever umbrella shades a portion of the shallow end of our pool. I didn't want to install shade sails over the pool.
Au contraire. Our structure provides shade over a small portion, which increases from the first day of summer on.

So we got our Purple Leaf umbrella ($600) and ended up having to order the off-set metal plate mount ($150) to bolt it to the concrete. We have a decent amount of wind currently (10pmh) and no part of it is moving at all. So far so good.

Attachments

• A048A3CF-5727-4E31-A8D3-BB56B89E0CAD.jpeg
    A048A3CF-5727-4E31-A8D3-BB56B89E0CAD.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 56
I went with a standard 10' Cantilever and used 2 black gym bags and put a 50lb bag of river rock in each. I just set the bags on the cross base and it does the job well. Best part is that when I take it down, I remove the entire setup. Cheap and easy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I literally just came back inside from rolling two of these bases with umbrellas from morning to afternoon sun protection for the pool. I don't have cantilevered umbrellas, but instead have tilting umbrellas so I can provide the maximum shade where I want at all times. The area around our pool has zero shade and these are a life saver. We furl the umbrellas if there is going to be strong wind, but they have never tipped over in the 10+ years we've had them. You can literally roll them with one finger.

Our 11 ft cantilever umbrella with around 250 lbs of sand/water also tumbled over and slid 10 feet on it's side when tilted to block the sunset light while in the spa. Needless to say, we don't tilt it as much anymore.

I literally just came back inside from rolling two of these bases with umbrellas from morning to afternoon sun protection for the pool. I don't have cantilevered umbrellas, but instead have tilting umbrellas so I can provide the maximum shade where I want at all times. The area around our pool has zero shade and these are a life saver. We furl the umbrellas if there is going to be strong wind, but they have never tipped over in the 10+ years we've had them. You can literally roll them with one finger.
I have a wooden deck that will not allow for rolling umbrellas.

+1 on the purple leaf that others have mentioned.

I replaced a one year old $650 cantilever with weighted base with a $750 purple leaf 12x12 or 13x13 can't remember. I would rank it commercial strength. the base is a few inches off of my travertine. I dug a 2' deep hole, filled it with (expensive now days) concrete and mounted it to that.

No matter what you have, and how you install, fold it up when there are storms predicted.

That said, I get similar gusts in the afternoon that are unexpected. I would say up to 20mph or more. It does SO much better than the previous one that was weighted down. It slightly moves and the wind chime hanging from the center of it makes some noise - but it is solid.

I have an 11 ft. cantilever and it got beat up real bad from the wind. It didn't topple but a primary rib broke, and now it doesn't stay in the intended position either. We now have it on the far end of the pool for shade.

Mine was $600 at Costco

Honestly, the $300 ones at Lowe's look like similar construction. I would opt for the $300 and plan on replacing it after a few seasons, than pay for the $600 one.

Rather than replace the damaged one, we got this gazebo for the same price and we love it. I would consider that if you have the space. Sand leg weights keep it anchored down nicely.

Attachments

• 576604C2-D825-4C56-A47E-4E99FB7E9079.jpeg
    576604C2-D825-4C56-A47E-4E99FB7E9079.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 4408E2AB-EC57-4738-9952-1111E13FB3F0.jpeg
    4408E2AB-EC57-4738-9952-1111E13FB3F0.jpeg
    535.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 04ADC961-6DF5-4C9A-94E3-1AAA5C14228D.jpeg
    04ADC961-6DF5-4C9A-94E3-1AAA5C14228D.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.