"Can't search now..." message

257WbyMag said:
Currently 88 guests on the forum. I can't help but think that this is why. The flux capacitor may not be producing the required 1.21 gigawatts of power required to handle the volume. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
Maybe Jason can somehow harness lightning...channel it into the flux capacitor... make it strike the clock tower, oh, I mean TFP's server, ..... it just might work :mrgreen:

What happened! I was just kidding about the lightning :shock:

I added the message above, went to home page and my stats (under avatar) are missing:

Mod Squad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your posts
Bookmarks
Subscribed
Private messages
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logout [ Butterfly ]

But if we did the whole lightning thing there could be a temporal anomaly :sad:

Yes, the number of "New posts by date" and "Your posts" are gone. Calculating "New posts by date" alone was taking 50% of the total CPU time during the recent traffic spike.

JasonLion said:
But if we did the whole lightning thing there could be a temporal anomaly :sad:

Yes, the number of "New posts by date" and "Your posts" are gone. Calculating "New posts by date" alone was taking 50% of the total CPU time during the recent traffic spike.

Gone? Gone for how long?

The number of "New posts by date" on the home page is gone until I can find an SQL query that doesn't have to examine each of 30,000 posts individually checking to see if each one is new or not every time a logged in user views the home page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That isn't the same as the "Can't search now . . ." messages that make up most of this topic. What probably happened is either your keep me logged in term expired (about once a month), or your IP address changed, and you were logged out. Guests are not allowed to search.

Jason,

Does the host of the site offer a cloud type offering that might scale faster/better to meet demand spikes?

Also, it sounds like you do not have full control about who can schedule jobs on the servers and when. You might look into a job scheduling product (I think there is an Open Source version). They usually have integrated security models and auditing features, dependency tracking, and fine grained job control with load statistics to help you balance.

OK - I think I've pretty much geeked out here and everyone knows I'm in the enterprise management software business now. ;-)

SF

The forum software we use is not cloud friendly at the moment. There is talk of changing that among the developers, but nothing has happened recently.

I have total control over the machine. The problem is that it is some obscure Linux distribution with 100s of features turned on by default. I keep going through and tracking down cron jobs doing things we don't need and turning them off.

In any case, the performance problems are solved for this season. We are past peak traffic for the year and won't have any further issues until next May or June of next year. Over the winter I will work on upgrading the server.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.