Can't Open for 2-3 weeks, how to proceed

Apr 30, 2018
Randolph, NJ
Currently redoing equipment Pad and wont be able to open for 2-3 weeks.
Just pulled back the mesh cover corner to test. I have a submersible pump to circulate while adding chems. Water looks pretty clear, I can see the shallow end bottom well.

FC: 0
CC: 0
pH: 6.8? (was off the scale yellow for my test)
TA: 20
ca: 10
CYA: 0 (filled the tube without blocking dot, was at 100 at closing, glad to have it down now but worried about ammonia)

How should I proceed? Want to add Cl to prevent algae but worried about pH and TA being so low.
Poolmath says to add 427oz of baking soda, thats a lot.
Last year was new to the house and had pro to open who added Metal Sequestrant among other things, should I do this as well now since pH is low? Not sure if I have Iron issues, stairs were brownish last year, probably organic, but will test with AA.
Thanks in advance

If your water is fairly clear and no CC's I would add the baking soda to raise the PH and TA. Even at least half of what pool math shows to get started and add more if needed to get to the correct level. Get your CYA up to at least 20 or 30 and get FC accordingly. It helps that you have the pump to circulate the water until the pad is done. Keep the cover on until the pad is ready. Curious why you have no CYA though. Did you drain the pool or not have any CYA last year?

CYA was 100 at close. Inherited this pool w the house last summer and converted to liquid Cl right away. CYA was over 150 at open and I drained and filled to get it down all last summer.
Happy to have it gone but have heard it can be associated w ammonia.
Wondering if I should peg the ph and TA high at the close next year.

I'd be cautious about getting too wrapped in the ammonia theme just yet. Can't do anything about it if you did anyways until things are up & running. But I agree with the above to add some BS to increase the TA and pH a little - just to get out of that danger zone. If the pool is still covered, it's okay to try and add a little bleach slowly and carefully to ensure it gets stirred around. Maybe you can get the FC level to 2 or so, just enough to help keep the organics at bay until you open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.