can't keep Chlorine in the pool

keighley59

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2020
Essex, UK
Hi all, I have been getting all my knowledge of upkeep of my pool from this forum, and just going into my 2nd season. Season 1 was brilliant, very little, no issues as I use "pool math" and use "ColorQ" to test the pool. See I do follow the advice.....

But I have a problem, recently I can't keep Chlorine in the pool and would like some advice as I think I'm doing the right thing.

Today's reading were:

FC = Lo, pH=6.7, TA=14, CH=150 ( added 60oz of liquid chlorine (13%)) & CYA=29 (added 2lb in a sock in the skimmer).

My reading yesterday were FC=0.6 (added 53oz), pH=7.2, TA=75, CH=778 & CYA=28.

Should I slam the pool or carry on doing what I'm doing until I get it balanced?

As always, any advice would be very helpful?

I’m a little leery offering advice on the ColorQ and not a Taylor kit, but I would take the CYA out and first double-check you don’t have ammonia. Add enough LC to take your FC to 10, circulate 15 mins, test to see if you have any FC. It would be helpful to know what your CC level is but I am suspecting the ColorQ can’t measure that, right?

I would lean towards SLAM since that's a lot of FC to disappear but...I also think those color Q readings are questionable. Its showing 2LB of CYA not raising it at all and how did the CH go from 150 to 778 overnight? Only two things consume FC: organic matter and sunlight. CYA protects the FC from the sun and yours is a bit low, maybe not for you climate?. I would double check some of those numbers with a traditional test kit like a taylor or TFT kit or maybe a pool store (gasp). SLAM will do no good if you cant test reliably. At what point does it call the FC reading "Lo?"

I just listened to the video from the TFP pool experts. They mentioned that if you can't keep CL in the pool it could be ammonia from the CYA breaking down. Two years ago, no matter how much Cl I put in my pool I was getting barely a reading. I eventually slammed my pool and the Cl came back.

I just wanted to give you an update. The slam worked and I can now keep Chlorine in the pool, does seem that it was the Ammonia. I am once again educated by the members on this site.

Thanks for all those that took their time to help me, really appreciated.

Thanks
How do you slam a pool that you can't keep Chlorine in?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.