cant hold chlorine

If you accidentally go to 17 it's not the end of the world. You don't want to go too far over too many times. It doesn't help, and is wasteful to a point, dangerous beyond another point.

It is usually recommended to your chlorinator/SWG so that you don't have other variables and you will know right right dosage.

Just to clarify this post. MGM left out the words "not use" between "to" and "your". But the guidance is correct. You should just be using bleach at this point.

A bigger point for discussion after your successful SLAM (which it will be) is how you plan to chlorinate going forward. But for now let's focus on your SLAM.

Can you confirm that you did lower your pH to 7.2 prior to raising the FC level? This is a very important step.

And how's the SLAM going regarding use of FC and frequency of your testing/adjusting?

pH was 7.2 when I started. I figured he meant to keep the chlorinator off. I started at 9:00 this morning and have tested every hour. Losing about 2 ppm of FC per hour so far.
Just to verify, when you test you add liquid chlorine to bring it back up? This is the key, testing often and bringing it back up to shock level.

Not appreciably. If it's on in the am then all is good and little is lost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So an update after Day 1 of Slam. I tested every 1-1.5 hrs. FC was dropping about 2-3 ppm. I brushed the pool about 3 times as well. We had a storm in the area and my power went out. The pump didn't run for about 2 hrs.and I had to drain water from the pool. The last 2 tests of the night the FC only dropped by 1.5 ppm. Did the overnight test and the FC only dropped by 2.5 ppm. So after all the craziness, I feel like I made progress. Please let me know if there is anything I should be doing differently or something I should be doing on top of what I already have done. Hope I can get this corrected soon, I have a lot of angry people who want to get in my pool. LOL.

Update after second day of Slam. I tested about every 2 hrs. First day was every hour. Some tests only lost 1-2 ppm FC, other test I did not lose any. Also tested CC and it was.5. I was really excited for the OCLT because my pool is crystal clear and CC is .5, so I have 2 out of 3 reqirements to end Slam. I did the OCLT and lost 2 ppm, which was better than the first night when I lost 3 ppm. So I was a little disappointed but I feel like I'm almost there and the pool has never looked clearer. Hopefullly I will be done this soon, but definitely making progress.

Update after second day of Slam. I tested about every 2 hrs. First day was every hour. Some tests only lost 1-2 ppm FC, other test I did not lose any. Also tested CC and it was.5. I was really excited for the OCLT because my pool is crystal clear and CC is .5, so I have 2 out of 3 reqirements to end Slam. I did the OCLT and lost 2 ppm, which was better than the first night when I lost 3 ppm. So I was a little disappointed but I feel like I'm almost there and the pool has never looked clearer. Hopefullly I will be done this soon, but definitely making progress.

I am effectively in the same place as you. I thought the OCLT would hold last night since my FC balanced out yesterday afternoon, the pool is clear and held between tests. Overnight though, I lost 7 PPM. Keeping at it.

Great, almost there. Now is the time to take a good look at your pool and find any hidden areas that a small pocket of algae could be hiding. Ladders and behind lights in the wall are them most common hiding places.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.