Can't get the *%#@ ladder out ;-)

May 21, 2007
Help ...

I fight with it every year. We have an inground salt pool and we are closing this weekend. I can't get the ladder out of the deep end - nor the one by the stairs in the shallow, but the deep end is bothering me more right now! :?

I saw that someone used wheel bering greese and that worked for them this year and I will be sure to try it for next year, but any invative ways to get that sucker out now? I have tried hot water to loosen up the crud that seems to find it's way down. I got the bolts out and I tried tapping the piece that pressure holds the railing, but nothing. I tried some WD40 and it's not even wiggling. I've used a mallet to try pounding it up but nada. I'm so tempted to hit it with some muric acid, but I'm afraid I would do bad things to something - including my decking - just concrete.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions - PLEASE share! I don't want to damage the ladder but I'm ready to sledge hammer the thing! :hammer:

Thanks!

sorry dont know why I didnt jsut copy the message, this could be helpful to others who get their ladders salt system welded in.
When aluminum anchors are used with salt system pools trouble ensues. The stainless steel and aluminum actually becomes welded togethor. I think I was told its the electrolysis taking place fromt eh salt cell. Now all salt systems get brass or PVC anchors.
WASTE give me a message if this is new to you, I just figured it out a few weeks ago and now I feel really dumb that I had not thought of it sooner. It was actually my inground salesmans idea.

They way to get it out is simple, but I sawed off and core drilled out about a dozen before I figured it out.

Unbolt the ladder treads. They are usually 7/16. Use a wrench, most of the time a ratchet wont fit in. Be careful not to drop the nuts or washers into the pool as they are horrible to get out without going in. Remove the bolts
This makes the ladder legs individuals, and allows you to twist them side to side

Drench the anchors in PB blaster if you ahve it or just WD-40. Keep doing this until they are out. Twist the individual leg side to side as if you are unscrewing it. Then begin to twist the leg up and out of the socket. Dont get shy with your lubricant. Do this with the other leg and you should be in good shape.

You might need a friend to help you, I usually have a helper and it often takes both of us to break the legs free even with the extra power you get by being able to twist (torque) instead of just pull up.

Next year put copious amounts of marine grade grease on them. Something really thick, not just automotive lithium grease. You may want to check on it half way through the summer and reapply.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will give it a shot tomorrow - it's too late and too cold right now although now you have me thinking about it and I have become a little obsessed at this point ... no no, too cold too late ... :rant:

You better believe I'm gonna greese that sucker up next year!!! I would love to change the type of ladder, but I really don't want to change the cups and have to disturb my decking. It never looks the same after that and that will bug me too. :roll: OK, I have issues but they are my issues :wink:

Keep your fingers crossed and I'll post up when I have it out so anyone else with the same problem will know if it works for me. As you can hopefully tell by my sarcasm, this has really pushed me into the deep end - good thing I can swim! Thanks!

Ok, the ladder is out and so is the railing by the shallow end. I did take a rather unconventional approach though ....

So I started by checking out the treads with full intention of taking them off. Then I realized getting the bottom tred out was not going to happen without me getting into the pool. It's too cold for my chicken self! In addition, I knew I would drop those little nuts and washers into the pool and the deep end is 8 ft. :roll: They were on the underside of the stair and I could not use a ratchet to get them off. It was a wrench or nothing at all. Anyway, I had to move on to plan B ... :scratch:

I have some muric acid because my PH will rise every so often being a salt water pool. I filled a glass bottle with a dropper top with water and added an ever so small amount of acid. I poured it in those little holes and it sizzled. I kept a big bucket of water right next to me to delute with more water and had some baking soda for any that hit my decking. With two of us pushing and pulling on the ladder, it loosened and came right out. I flushed everything very well with a hose - away from the pool and then covered it with baking soda and let it sit for a little bit. Hosed it down again and cleaned up. Everything looks good right now.

I have full intention of finding some water proof lubricant and sliming everything up next year. I'll probably pop them out mid way through the season and lube them up again. I don't want to go through this again!

Whew! Now I just have to drop the water level down, finish my closing routine and I'm done! :goodjob:

Let me try this again - I thought I had the right link try THIS one from Pool Forum ( :oops: - I thought the other one was the one I was thinking of, but it was either a 'senior moment' or just a memory malfunction :lol: - in my defense, I've got a lot of posts out there and it's been ~ 10 months since I went through and reread them all. My original link here is the one Poconos links in his reply - hence my confusion )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.